Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Radeon 9800 series graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Vonlowell

Vonlowell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody could help me point out a new graphics card I could use in my computer, the current card I have is a Radeon 9800 series. I am looking for a good gaming computer for specifically games like Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft. I had problems with this graphics card while playing WoW, very frequent crashes and sometimes even graphic glitches. Any help is appreciated, sorry I can't give anymore specifications, I am currently not at home.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 9800 is an old card now, dating from 2003 and is AGP.
Buying anything for an AGP system is realistically pointless because it's effectively obsolete now in favour of PCI-Express.

Realistically a 2003 machine isn't going to run anything made today, or if it is it'll do it in its own time, as you've found out. Your other issues may be down to hardware issues that are developing due to the age of the machine.

You are effectively looking at replacing the board, the processor, the memory, the graphics card itself (anything you buy today will be better than the 9800) and possibly the power supply and maybe the hard drive. It will be virtually a new computer.