Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING "nwlink.vxd" and "nwnblink.vxd" from 98S.E

• Please log in to reply

libertarian

libertarian

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I like my 98 Se..It is like an old comfy shoe,although I also have XP.I find 98 S.E. very "userfriendly", at least for me

Please can someone send me downloads for those drivers.I dont believe they are corrupted,because I ran REGCURE with no results

Advertisements

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Greetings libertarian and welcome to Geeks To Go! I wish I had better news but unfortunately, according to Microsoft, the only way to get a hotfix for this issue was to contact their tech support directly. The information located here outlines the decision to stop support of Windows 98, Me and XP SP1. Each time I thought I found a site that someone may be hosting the only fix for the missing nwlink.vxd issue, it kept sending me back to the Microsoft website.

I am sorry that I didn't have better news for you at this time, but don't think I will ever forget that file name.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First issue libertarian:

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Second suggestion:

Have you tried System Restore to go back to a date just prior to the issue?
Win98 Se really doesn't have the System Restore like XP or Vista but it does have soemthing similar.
To get to it go to:
Start and then to Run
The type in scanreg /restore
Click Enter and follow the prompts

This will restore your registry back to before running the Regcure and hopefully everything will work correctly.
If this does not work within Windows you may have to restart and go to a Command Prompt only from the Boot Menu
Let us know how this works for you

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you, rshaffer61, for your continued assistance. To libertarian, I am sorry that I did not have the information that rshaffer61 provided readily available for you.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) Thanks for replies and to Sari "scanreg/restore" gets only an error message so it doesn't work in windows.If it works in command prompt I will let you know.I am desperate and suspect that too many other corrupt files ( my computer is old after all,like I am :)

I get the impression you believe that "regcure"had something to do with my problem..au contraire ( sorry I am Canadian :surrender:0)In fact it did make some improves. The reason I installed it was a faint hope it might help with regards my "missing" drivers( they may have just been corrupted).No such luck but it did make other improves.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually the two files you are missing are located in the C:\Windows\system or C:Windows\System32 folder
Are you using an onboard ethernet or a addon card?

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Sari:

My "ethernet" card was added by an obliging staff person,for free,at "Source" about 5 years ago and I had no problems with it.

The problem with the "missing" drivers happened after I uninstalled my webcam and re-nstalled it.I dont remember why I uninstalled it in the first place.I also remember having trouble with my Office 2000 and uninstalled it and re-instlled it also.

Could there be a connection??? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can't see why removing them would have anything to do with the current issue but stranger things have happened.
Instead of typing this all out for you I found the instructions for you on Microsoft's knowledge vase.
Please go HERE and do the first 4 steps. This should install the missing files for you.
When done make sure you click OK
The system may want to reboot to start the service so allow it to.
If not the files should be installed
Please let us know how it works.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Sari: That link you gave me took me to a solution for a 2000 server which of course mine is OS98SE.

I did send a note,however, to Microsoft on that page re my OS.It might confuse them a bit since the page referred to 2000 O.S.

I did forget to mention that after uninstalling my Webcam (a "PCCam6029") is when I started getting the notices on bootup regarding the missing drivers and of course I could no longer install my Webcam.I have to clear the notices before bootup will complete.That is one of the reasons I want to replace or repair them..whichever is applicable :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure where Sari is in this thread as I see no post from her.
Have you tried the solution I suggested in my last post?
if so what was the results?

Advertisements

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My apologies Shaffer but for some reason I thought I saw Sari attached to you so that last note was to you and answers your question I hope :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I believe I confused you with the post about registry cleaners.
The information I gave you was from Sari who is a administrator here.
This was borrowed from her and I always give credit to the originator of anything I borrow.
Sorry for the confusion.
Did you try the suggestion on the page from Microsoft?
It explicitly shows the exact steps to take for your problem.
It may very well fix the problem you are encountering.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No as i said in my comments about Sari confusion.that link you sent me tokk me to a discussion about a 2000

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No as i said in my comments about Sari confusion( check back to my comment BEFORE i aplogized about the "Sari" confusion).That link you sent me took me to a discussion about a 2000 server and of course my OS is 98 SE.

Did I miss something or misinterpret the link? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Microsoft for the most part is not supplying support for WIN98 anymore.
I supplied the link because even though it is for Windows 2000 as you state the steps are for the most part identical to Win98.