Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING "nwlink.vxd" and "nwnblink.vxd" from 98S.E

• Please log in to reply

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok Thanks Shaffer.I shall try it again and follow the steps.By the way I have also decided to take my Xp tower to a tech in town ( I am in the far north of Canada,presently)with whom I have had dealings.He will clean my computer of the virus I mentioned in the other post and any other malware which may be present for $29. Cdn ( about $25. U.S.) which I think is very reasonable.

I will let you know of any success with regards the link you sent me :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why not just use the Malware forum here on GTG?
It's free and you can learn at the same time.
The Techs we have in that forum are specially trained to deal with infections and are some of the best in the field.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
With some manipulations( very different from 2000) I reached the desired dialogue box BUT there is no NWLINK choice( one of the necessary actions I am supposed to do) BUT if I had the disc for 98SE I could find it...I knew that part all long .It is in fact the same"dead end" I reach any time I try to repair or replace those "missing" drivers.

I do not have a disc for 98SE because the SE part was an up date done by a tech and he never gave me the disc as a "back-up" for re-loading at such times AS THIS IS :)

So I am back where I started and the only solution it seems is to find a trusted 98SE full re-load,hopefully for free,as my funds are limited.

This will probably involve a re-format which will erase all that i have on my 98SE and that is a problem because I use everything on there as a back up for my XP.In fact thanks to my 98SE,now, I am able to send this.Remember my XP is completely disconnected for security reasons because of the virus.

C'est la vie :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The best suggestion I can give you is check and see if a friend may have a copy they don't need anymore.
As long as you have the original registration key for your system then you can use any 98SE disk.
Another option is to check the online places like HERE on ebay.
They have some brand new original packaging Win98SE there for less then 20.00 USD.
I would suggest spending the money for one just so you always have a original disk for future needs. Since you are comfortable with 98 it would be a smart move to invest in it right now.
Eventually there will be none around and you won't have a choice but to upgrade at that point.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks once again "Shaffer" for the two suggestions.

I will try the staff at GTG re my XP viral problem and I will check EBAY for a 98SE.I have no choice because the original key doesn't work because of changes the tech made in updating to SE.I know because i tried to re-load my 98 and it wouldn't take.Pbviously,because of that,I will have to start again.I assume a KEY comes with the new 98SE software? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the link I supplied will show original new Win98SE with a key
This is what you want.
Make sure the disk is original (Hologram on disk) and with a key.
If in original packaging sealed is preferred.
Another word of advice:
OEM can only be installed on ONE SYSTEM and once installed it becomes married to that system.
Retail can be installed on a different system as long as it is only installed on one system at any one time.
I myself would suggest the latter as with any system problems can occur and your system may fail one day.
With the OEM you could not transfer that to another system.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks again Shaffer and my apologies for taking so long to reply but I did have to go into the city for other business and have only returned in time to make supper so I am replying now.........after having my supper of course :)

I will definately look for: Hologram on a disc;sealed, and RETAIL.

I will let you know about all including my flirt with ridding my Xp of its "sickness" with the help of your MALWARE forum

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as real life takes center stage over everything else.
I'm glad it was nothing like a emergency.
I will await your results from Malware Tech and monitor this topic for your return.

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
HI Shaffer:

Well I tried to follow the MALWARE removal tips,which the GTG site recommends FIRST ( on homepage).....As I thought the VIRUS will not let me download the various suggestion.It freezes the download boxes and the only way out then is to RE-BOOT :) .It does this,to other apps I tried to download from suggestions provided by "www.windowsvistaplace.com/........."

I tried to go into the forum and GTG wont let me.I tried HELP but it was not very "helpful" and besides I cannot stand FORMATTED questions/answers.They are usually a waste of time. Sorry but I am more "old-school" i prefer solving my problems by chatting or talking with someone in real time, or as close as possible such as our "chat"

It is much more effective,for unusual situations such as mine seems

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated re my XP infected by "Worm.win32.AutoRun.esf" :)

Now you understand why I am willing to pay $29, to a Tech in town :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can post a topic in the Malware forum and in your description put that you cannot download any of the tools needed.
They are experts and can usually find a way around the problem.
I understand why you wanted to have someone to do it and I suggest using GTG because it is a great way to not only resolve your issue but to learn at the same time.
If you would rather have someone do this I can understand that and respect your wishes.
If you may be interested GTG has GEEKU that you could learn to combat malware infections. It is not a easy course and does take some time to complete.
The only thing we ask is after completing the course you pay forward by assisting here.
The course is free but as i said it does take time to complete and you can help others when you are done who may have the same problems you have experienced.
Just a little information to help your mind get confused alittle more. :)

Advertisements

libertarian

libertarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I guess I didn't explain myself well Shaffer.

I cannot use the Malware Forum.I get the message"You do not have permission to use this forum....".That is what I meant in my last post to you and I did go to HELP to find out why, which resulted in only a number of formatted questions and answers,which I assume if I spent enough time in "Help" I would find a CONTACT button?

To repeat I do not like formatted Questions and Answers because I find them very time-consuming,made worse by the fact they rarely solve my problems.In other words they are,for me, a total waste of time. :)

Maybe I dont have patience for doing things this way.As I said I am "old school" and prefer to deal directly with people.This is also the FIRST time I have ever had a virus in 12 years of being on the internet :)

Thanks anyway,Shaffer, you have given me your best,I know. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let me know how everything works out after the system is cleaned.
We always like to know what the ending results are be it good or bad.

minionarcane

minionarcane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh man, Libertanian.... heck..... lemme do this again at the next msg.

Edited by minionarcane, 05 January 2010 - 09:19 PM.

minionarcane

minionarcane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh man, Libertarian.... bit sorry this reply came in bit late maybe. Guess what, u probably got a solution here from a stranger with the same freakin' nwnblink.vxd requesting err msg problem at a pri school pc lab here at my place. (Don't matter where i'm at really.) I did a search and got through a site with a simple suggested solution. Can't remember who it was and where but to me, that guy sounded like he knew stuff about the system applications. Here's what i tried based on his solution for someone else. He said the nwnblink.vxd file refers to the IPX/SPX protocol which isn't needed in use if you have a dialup connection. Therefore, he said to remove the ipx/spx from the network settings in win98. You can do it from here : Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > (search the list for the IPX/SPX protocols available, click select them and remove!)> Restart your pc.
Worked fine for me without a glitch or hitch. Finally, got rid of the itch! Hope you do too by yourself (if you havent dumped that old unit of yours yet.) coz MS's customer service has WIN98 support long ditched!