Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XFX Radeon HD 4870 for my build

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have an athlon X2 4600, 2 gigs PC2 6400 Corsair RAM, MSI K9A2 Cf-F mobo, and my graphics card blew out, so I need a replacement. The XFX Radeon HD 4870 is the card I'm considering. (The 512 Mb version, though do tell if you think the full gig will make a big difference) I know it's going to be a bit out of step with my other components, but I will probably upgrade the CPU to an AMD3 or 2+ soonish, and maybe add some mor RAM if necessary. So, is this a good option? Will there be any compatibility issues or great bottlenecks or inefficiencies?

Do recommend other cards if you wish, but please keep in mind that I'm on a limited budget, I'm not in the US and therefore have different prices and availability (no Newegg, sadly), and I'm not looking for people to tell me all about what build they would make ideally. The rest of the specs aren't changing right now, so I want something compatible with what I have, with the capacity to match a the smallish upgrade I mentioned.

Thankyou :)

http://www.xfxforce....eries/4870.aspx

Edited by Junkman, 22 July 2009 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 4870 might be what you want but what card did you have before?
Realistically putting a fast card in a slower machine is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Mini.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I had an ATI X1950Pro.
Well as I said, I do plan on upgrading soonish, and a card that better fits my current rig wouldn't be all that much cheaper I don't think, and in the long run getting a cheaper one now and then a better one later would cost more. So I'm OK with it outpacing the build right now, my concern was chiefly that there would be compatibility issues, or a better card that I could get for around the same money.
So I'm pretty much close to deciding on a 4870, or maybe a 4850, but now I want to know which version I should get. There are a few models available at the site I am buying from, and I'm not sure what some of the differences are, or how much difference the built-in RAM makes. When I was last putting a build together, the advice I got was that GPU RAM is actually not a terribly important factor, as long as you have enough RAM in your build. So is there much difference between the 512 and the 1 gig versions of this card? And what does he suffix "xxx" mean? I've tried looking it up but had no joy.

This is the site I'm looking at: http://www.edbpriser...aspx?pid=489855

It's in Danish, but the product info is all in English, and if you scroll down a little you can see the three variants available under "relaterede produkter" (a chocolate fish for the first person to guess what that translates to). Danish kroner are about 5-6 to one for USD, or 8-20 to one for GBP, so the difference between the most and least expensive versions of this card is about a hundred bucks, but really I'm more interested in the two cheaper ones. A 512Mb or a 1Gb XXX?

Thanks

Edited by Junkman, 23 July 2009 - 02:25 AM.