Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd burner not fully functional:lite-on ltr-24102m

• Please log in to reply

peaceandcheese

peaceandcheese

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i had to uninstall and reinstall my cd drive via the device manager and uninstall nero burning rom which never had a conflict with mediamonkey before. now i am unable to burn a cd, read or create data discs and it took a few weeks before i was able to play a music cd again but that's only after the cd drive spits out a disc 3 or 4 times before it decides to play it. i was informed that my upper and lower filters were missing and my cd drive needed to have a driver update (lite-on ltr- 24102m). after scouting the internet, i was informed that there is no driver update available for my burner and lite-on doesn't have any info to assist me. i tried the paths given by microsoft but it didn't work because i had no upper or lower filters anymore to configure and i have no idea how they disappeared. so now i'm stuck with a picky cd rom and some nero junk still on my pc although i used the nero cleaning utility.
how is it possible that i can rip and play audio cds but unable to burn them or create/read data files when my upper or lower filters are missing?

i actually thought my issue was the type of blank discs i was buying but now i'm stuck with 180 blank discs and nothing to put on them. i seeked assistance from dell but their firmware does not apply to my model of cd drive. any help on this issue will be appreciated.

specs:
dell dimensions 4400
windows xp sp3
lite-on ltr-24102m cd "burning" rom
ide ata/atapi controllers
media players: mediamonkey gold, windows media player 11, formerly used nero cd burning rom for data discs

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the drive is going to be the easiest solution. Dying drives tend to be choosy about what media they will or won't deal with.

peaceandcheese

peaceandcheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i was trying to hold on just a lil longer with this drive but i see i may have to put it to rest and get a new 1. at least now i can get a combo drive.
thanx for your input.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Firmware upgrade 1.05 found HERE

peaceandcheese

peaceandcheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you! i hope this works for me.