Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a CD-Rom Drive

• Please log in to reply

canineandco

canineandco

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer crashed last night. I have a backup that I use for presentations only. The original ran XP as the OS, the new one (the backup) runs Vista. I installed the hard drive (to recover it's data) from the XP desktop into the Vista desktop, but now it won't detect it's cd-rom drive. I moved the CD drive from the SATA 2 to the SATA 3 port and plugged the new hard drive into the SATA 2. The hard drive does work, but the CD drive doesn't. The power works to it, but VISTA isn't detecting it (it doesn't show up in My Computer.) Please help! This is the main computer for a business... it runs our front desk.

Advertisements

lotus8

lotus8

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
check the device manager may be code 39 if so ill post a fix

canineandco

canineandco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually, I figured it out on my own! Thanks though!