Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

rundll32.exe hijacking 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply

asaya

asaya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I read some posts on CPU 100% usage with rundll32.exe. I hope someone can talk me through steps to resolve this!

recent downloads and other activity that might be useful background in resolving this and/or understanding where the hijacker got in:

two days ago, reset IBM thinkpad T41 to factory settings / OS XP Professional 2002, service pack 3. using antivirus protection by norton.

today, i installed and then tried to uninstall IE8; uninstall using windows tool not successful; downloaded "perfect uninstaller" (http://www.perfectuninstaller.com/)
thinking this would completely uninstall IE8 for free (only because it said "free" download). I aborted process when they wanted to charge fee. that software is still on my system.

I am currently using Google Chrome (also downloaded today)as browser.

uninstalled office 2003 and installed free trial of office 2007 with business contact manager (a few hours ago). first noticed 100%cpu usage while using BCM about an hour ago. I powered off and on, re-opened outlook and BCM - cpu went up to 100% a couple minutes after opening BCM.

Other symptoms:
not able to close outlook; I've had to power off a couple times. As i write this, CPU usage is normal; I am only running google chrome.

This is killing my time and energy. I desparately need to get my system steady.
any help to resolve this issue greatly appreciated (as well as any insight into how I managed to let this happen!)

Thanks ahead,

Anna

Advertisements