Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone Not Detected // No Audio Devices Installed

• Please log in to reply

ThorneM

ThorneM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok.... So I am at the end of my wits.... I've troubleshooted with various site regarding my issue....

Ok... I have Windows Vista on my system (Dell XPS/Inspiron M140/630m).....
I have a microphone-headset combination, with two separate lines (one for mic-the other for the headset).
They are both plugged into there respective correct ports.
The headset works fine... but the system doesn't detect the microphone at all.

I have tried downloading a new driver as one site sugeested... It still doesn't work!!!
I've rebooted several times.... That doesn't wotk!!!
I've tried using other microphones..... Still nothing!!!

On top of that when I click the speaker icon to access that menu, I go to recording and 'NO AUDIO DEVICES INSTALLED' appears.

I have accessed my device manager to allow it to scan for updates for the "High Definition Audio Device" that is listed in the file for 'Sounds, video and game controllers'.
The response after the scan was "The best driver software for your device is already installed.... The driver software is up to date"

But the microphone is still not working... neither it is being detected.... and the system still shows "No Audio Devices Installed"

So I really do not know what to dohttp://geekstogo.uservoice.com/pages/general
HELP!!!!!
THANX IN ADVANCE............

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi there,

I'm going to trust you when you say it's in the right port(usually pink), as you've tried other mics, I'm sure that's not the problem.

Got to:

Start > Control Panel > (In non-classic view)Ease Of Access > Speech Recognition Options > Set Up a Microphone

Any luck there?

-Jason :)

ThorneM

ThorneM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yeah I tried that..... it works... thanks....

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
No problem, glad I could help :)

-Jason

pparker

pparker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem and I followed the directions given above. Instead of working, I received the message that "The Wizard could not start: Make sure your audio hardware is working properly and check your audio configuration in the Audio Devices and Sound Themes control panel." I have done everything ThorneM has in the beginning and I am no longer sure how to get my headset working. Please help!

TammyMc

TammyMc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have the same problem and it did not correct my problem. As with the others, I have done all the same techniques to no avail.

When I try to click on set up mic...the reply is:

"No Audio Input Device Found"

When I click on my recording devices I get:

"No audio devices are installed"

This just started when I upgraded to Windows 7.

Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) are working fine. I just can not use mic/headset.

Dell Dimension E310 (if this helps)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Shayne1993

Shayne1993

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Go to Home> Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Sound> Recording> Right click on the area that says "no audio devices are installed" and click Show Disabled Devices. And when the devices are visible, Right click on them and select enable.

zerrlandon0

zerrlandon0

• Pip
  • 1 posts

i tried this and still am having the same issue with not being able to use my microphone. My headset works but not the mic. i have tried other mics to plug in and nothing. even downloading and updating my audio drives. I NEED HELP. i have spent countless hours on this issue and cannot seem to resolve it and have tried many other websites and could not come to a conclusion please help. i have tried all that you have posted before this and could not fix it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Did you check the audio properties to make sure the microphone volume is turned up or if it sees the microphone in the properties?

Michael L. Hrizo

Michael L. Hrizo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Speech recognition could not start, No audio input device found, No audio input device currently installed ? Can't install speech recognition also? Sounds like I'm not the only with that problem. Did anyone ever come up with an answer ? No microphone = no Dragon + an awwfulll  lot of typing time. HELP, dose anyone know the Answer ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have seen no response from the original poster saying the issue was resolved. Being that this topic is over a year old i highly doubt they will respond. As far as your system if there is no audio device installed have you installed the drivers for the device and\or if located on the motherboard have you loaded the motherboard drivers?

If on the motherboard would you post the make and model of the motherboard so I can research the drivers for you? Is this a new build or a older system? Has the audio ever worked correctly and if so when did it stop? Have you installed the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer or the device manufacturer? Have you checked the bios to make sure the audio if located on the motherboard is enabled?

Michael L. Hrizo

Michael L. Hrizo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I got a Toshiba satellite a little more than a year old, the audio and Dragon worked fine. I still don't know how I lost audio ? Updated and installed drivers by the way of help from( fix sound problems) that applied to Windows 10. The only way I was able to get that help from Windows 10 was by going to my desktop that has a floating type space,( I don't know what else it's called) and Bing desktop page. Bing page on Internet explorer Google, Edge, and Mozilla would not show( fix sound problems that applies to Windows 10). Finding real help for Windows 10 is a another subject. By following the instructions and using the device manager, got me drivers and upgrades. I then right clicked the sound icon and went through the list till I got my headphones and remote microphone icons right. That let Cortina hear me, I tried typing help their too. For Dragon I had to create a new user profile and erase the old one,that enabled Dragon to do the typing. I don't think I am anywhere near proficient or good with this computer stuff, I'm just learning. My THANKS to Geeks to Go and you "Moderator"!I'LL BE BACK. 

Michael L. Hrizo

Michael L. Hrizo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

On my speech recognition and audio problem I would like to say "resolved". I forgot to add that I ran  CCleaner. As before I have said "I so new to all this computer stuff" & I thought I would start here to  ask, (what is the best and easiest cleaner to use & what is your favorite cleaner). I found GtogG.com/forum/help from experts & am learning how to use that. If I didn't save this page and address, I would have never found it again. I'm looking forward to finding out where to post my question & shell not be timing myself.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It depends on by cleaner you mean what? I'm not a fan of Ccleaner because of their registry cleaner.  Using a registry cleaner will do nothing to speed up your system at all. Please let me know what you mean by cleaning. and then I can asst you more.

Michael L. Hrizo

Michael L. Hrizo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

For some reason I'm having trouble getting back here & replying and even tried signing in. By cleaning I mean, deleting useless things, stuff I don't need or want. The problem is that I don't know what the computer requires to just run clean and efficiently & fast or where to find that out? I'm going to have to search(registry cleaner) to find out what I have and what it's really used for.