Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

.exe problems

• Please log in to reply

LatinDave

LatinDave

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need Help with this problem.For the past week i have been having this annoying problem where EVERY TIME i right click on an .exe file,no matter where this file is located, my desktop will disappear and reappear,not continuously disappear and reappear,just 1 time disappear and reappear.This just happens when i right click on an EXE file and not with any other type of file.I have not found anything on this thru the net.The closest i came across was desktop continuously disappearing and reappearing,but that is not the problem i have.Also read that it may be something with a shell context menu or something like that.I downloaded ShellExView but cannot figure out what to disable.This is driving me crazy! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Hi.
Simple first step often gets me out of of trouble. If running xp, use system restore. If you instaled or altered something, go back to that restore point or pick a system check point from a week ago.

iammykyl

LatinDave

LatinDave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice.Im running Vista and already tried the sys restore,with no luck at all.This is driving me MAD! Anyone else...

LatinDave

LatinDave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okey so here's the scoop...I Finally fixed this darn problem! Gonna post how i did it just in case someone else needs the help also.So it turns out that most likely than not,whenever there's a problem with "right-Click" on anything it most likely will be some kind of Shell Context Menu problem.Thats the menu options that are suppose to come when you right click.Anyways,what i did was downloaded a free app called "ShellExView" by Nir Sofer,ran the app which gave me a list of all the programs running Shell context menus.Once i had all the list i aranged them by date from the most current to the oldest and started to disable them one by one,more or less from the date i thought the problem had started.As it turned out i didnt have to disable too many before i hit the culprit.By the third item i had disabled i found what it was.Turns out that last week my McAfee software had expired and i installed a new license without fully deleting the old one.When i disabled the McAfee shell context menu and rebooted my pc i went back to right click on an .exe file and no more disappearing desktop! ShellExView can be found at ShellExView.If anyone needs help with the same problem i had,please feel free to drop me a msg.

Edited by LatinDave, 22 July 2009 - 11:43 PM.