Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange networking problem with a Dell desktop

• Please log in to reply

Jacopo

Jacopo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I am Jacopo from Italy.

It's been some days now that I am having the strangest problem with my networking card. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 desktop computer using Vista 32 bit, with an integrated Intel82566DC Gigabit Network card. I connect to the web using a D-link DSL-G624T and an ADSL line.
Everything worked fine until I suddenly stopped being able to properly access the Internet: whenever I tried to open a webpage it appeared at an excruciatingly slow pace, if at all, and I could'nt even access the router settings page.
I want to stress that every other computer used with the router has not experienced this or any other kind or problem, seemingly making the networking card in the Dell the only possible source of the problem.
I have an older wi-fi usb dongle (D-Link DWL-122) that I started using succesfully on the affected computer - naturally it is just a workaround, but I have also noticed something strange. Whenever I have the computer connected once for each reboot in Wi-Fi, I can safely remove the dongle and use the networking card normally. After rebooting, I have to repeat the action to get the card to work again.
I have already tried every single driver I could find for the card, I removed the recently installed Windows Vista SP2 and then reinstalled it, I checked and re-checked all connections. What else could I do short of reinstalling the OS and/or buying a new networking card?

Thanks,

Jacopo

Advertisements