Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista experiencing MAJOR problems (Blue screens and SMART failures)

• Please log in to reply

Shannon Jade

Shannon Jade

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone,
I just recently got this laptop, (when I say recently I mean like a month or two ago!)
So this is very unusual what is happening,
I keep getting the blue screen. Well I have gotten it twice.
Just then I ran a error check on the hard disk. It said something about SMART failure on Hard Disk 2?.. and to press F1 to continue. and also said I should back up my files ASAP because problems were imminent? :S

Well anyway..also, Windows Update does NOT install. At all! It always errors! I have no idea why!
Please help me you guys.
Thanks.

[edit]
OMG guys! Please help! A screen just come up saying this..
Windows detected a hard disk problem
Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss,m and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace this disk.

-> Start the backup process
-> Ask me again later
If the disk fails before the next warning, you could lose all of the programs and documents on the disk.

The following disks are reporting failure:
Disk name: HTS541080G9SA00 ATA Device
Volume C:\

Edited by Shannon Jade, 23 July 2009 - 06:44 AM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi

SMART is an analysis tool that checks how quickly your drive spins up and how many errors its reads. With a warning like this it usually predicts the death of your hardware.

Obviously the first thing to do would be to backup your data. If you haven't done so then do it now.

Now at this moment i don't think its worth bothering about the blue screen, as we should try and keep the PC going for now. Also the Updater errors or most probably linked to the failing hard drive.

What make and model is the PC? Eg Dell Inspiron

With the age of the laptop in mind i suggest you should go either back to were you bought it or to contact technical support of the manufacturer of the laptop as they will most probably be able to order you a replacement should the drive be dead.

Edited by rev_olie, 23 July 2009 - 11:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In just got it do you mean it is NEW?
If so then the warrant should take care of any hardware defet which in this case would be the Hard Drive.
We can not assist you in any way with that due to it would void your warranty.
If you feel like this could be caused by a infection which the update issue could very well be from then i suggest your Topic in the malware forum HERE and allow the Techs there to assist you.
If the system is no longer booting up into windows then contact Dell and let them cover the issue under warranty.

Shannon Jade

Shannon Jade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a month or two old, yes.
And it is a Sony VAIO.

Also, I don't know how to back my stuff up..this has never happened to me. Never had blue screens on old computers or SMART failures, nothing.

Also, last night I downloaded 21 important updates
and it worked :) finally.
needless to say it didn't change anything. Hard Drive is still saying it has errors :)
How much would a new hard drive be?
And would the manufacturers make me pay for a replacement?
On the box it says it has warranty..

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Also, I don't know how to back my stuff up..this has never happened to me. Never had blue screens on old computers or SMART failures, nothing.

Ok generally the process is to take the data and information you need from one PC to another or removable storage.

The best bet is to use either a CD/DVD, removable memory stick or a removable hard drive.
  • In the case of a CD:
  • Insert it into your CD tray.
  • Go to were you important documents and such are stored eg My Documents
  • Gather any pictures music together you need.
  • Then open My Computer
  • Go to your My Documents windows for example and highlight all your items you are backing up
  • Click the left mouse button and hold it down and drag them onto the CD in My Computer.
Windows will the write the data to the disk. Make sure you don't try and fit to much on.

Do that until all of your data is backed up. The same applies for a USB stick and Removable Hard drive.

How much would a new hard drive be?
And would the manufacturers make me pay for a replacement?

A new hard drive for a laptop being about 100GB will cost around £80. However because you are still under warranty then you will be able to claim it and you should get it for free.

You should now go to Sony Technical Support. Unfortunately you haven't filled in your location on your profile so i cant link you to the appropriate support site. However if you type into google Sony Technical support and then enter your model number into the site and then use the contact feature.