Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - 1st Boot... No Power

• Please log in to reply

chrysler12

chrysler12

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Specifications:
Motheroard - ASROCK P45XE
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.0 GHz / 1333 Mhz / 6 MB Cache
Memory - 4 GB G. Skill (2 x 2 GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Graphics - Nvidia GTX 260 / 896 MB
OS - No OS installed yet
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB / 7200 RPM
Power Supply - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 W
Case - NZXT Alpha

So I'm building a new system using the core components mentioned above. The problem is, when I turn on the power, it's seems like it's not booting up correctly and has no power. The fans (CPU, Power Supply, Case fans) would just run for a second and dies. No signs of power going through the entire system. I have pretty much plugged in everything and verified all connections. I even cleared the CMOS jumper just in case that was the problem. I jump started the power supply already and it's working by itself. This means that the power supply is probably not the issue here. I'm out of options already and I'm really getting frustrated with this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Short between the case and the MOBO. Follow the next steps to verofy.

Please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

This will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Power on and if the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

chrysler12

chrysler12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Guilty as charged. No standoffs are installed right now. I didn't know about them. My mobo should work now after putting them right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeppers, The standoffs are there to keep just such a issue from happening. Let us know if everything goes correctly now.

chrysler12

chrysler12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
finally has power now... im back on track. next stop, installing the OS. hopefully everything goes smoothly... thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :rolleyes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible