Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro will not boot/ combofix problem?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
EWWWW not a good sign.
That error in 99.99999% of the time means a format and reinstall

Advertisements

sirdoctoroftardis

sirdoctoroftardis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
since I have a partitioned hard drive (xp being on the C), is it possible to copy all of the D drive onto an external hard drive? Usually a reimage of the C does not affect the D, but just to be safe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this...if the drive is in good working order you should be able to backup D with no problem using this method.
Good ideal as with any format there is always a possibility of something going wrong.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

sirdoctoroftardis

sirdoctoroftardis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh I realized I have most of everything already backed up on a exterior hd, so I wont need linux (too bad). You are sure that a Reimage/ Reinstallation of Windows XP Pro should fix it? That's what I plan to do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A fresh installation at this point is the only way.
I can't guarantee it will work but it is the best option at this point.
With everything backed up then formatting and installing the OS fresh there should be no issues at that point.
You will have to do all the windows updates again.....nojoy :)
But then you would have as near new as you can egt with the OS system

sirdoctoroftardis

sirdoctoroftardis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for all your help anyway and at least I also won't have to deal with malaware either (knock on wood)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well we leave this topic open till we know you are up and running again.
If you need more help just reply and we will answer asap