Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Product Key

• Please log in to reply

chkelly

chkelly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer recently quit booting up. It kept giving me a message about improperly installed hardware. It would not let me start in safe mode or any other mode. I was told that by booting from disk drive with the Operating System disk and doing a system repair that it may fix the problem. My situation is..... I lost the disk and product key of the disk that was originally installed on that computer. I do have another disk (legal copy - it was used for a 2nd computer that I had for business that I no longer use. That hard drive was wiped clean and I sold that computer but still have the disk) that I used to do this repair but when I enter the product key for this disk it says it is not correct. What can I do to find out what the product key is? The computer I am trying to repair is now stuck in the Installing windows mode and want the correct key.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What was originally on your system for a OS system?
Is the one you are tryign install from the same type of OS disk
Home or Pro
Is the disk for the other system a Retail or OEM version?

If not the same type then it will not work. You should be given the option to skip the reg number and if not then the only other option is to wipe the drive clean.
You can try to contact Microsoft and see if they can help with reg key. If you registered your system with Microsoft they may be able to help you.
By doing a system repair are you meaning a repair installation?
To do this did you follow these steps or was there a different way you tried to do this?

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

chkelly

chkelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The same thing as this. XP Professional but one was retail version and one was purchased from Microsoft. So I just have to wipe the hard drive completly and start from scratch? How can I do that now when now evertime I turn it on it goes to the product key screen?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the Microsoft one say OEm on it?
You will have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot to the cdrom first.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

chkelly

chkelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't see OEm anywhere on the box or the disk. If it is there, where wold I find it? However, there is a sticker on the box that says "Microsoft Company Store Purchase - Not to be Sold".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is a Retail then as it came in a box. OEM's are just in a sleeve.

Follow the rest of the steps for changing boot sequence
Then follow the steps on the online tutorial to format and install XP fresh.
If there is no partition on the drive except the C drive then I would suggest blowing the partition away and repartition it
Then format it using NTFS
The steps in the tutorial will walk you thru this with screenshots so you can see what to look for.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2009 - 12:17 PM.