Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external harddrive erase old os

• Please log in to reply

czens

czens

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello new here, infact joined this just to get this problem solved. I recently found out I could put my old harddrive from my old desktop into a enclouser and was excited I finnaly was able to retrive old photos and music I lost about 4 years ago when the motherboard died on me. Now that I have my files back i tried doing a right click format drive on it and I only have like 32 gigs free and I know it was an 80 gig harddrive.

I guess my question is how do I remove everything including the old os which im sure is takeing up all that nice space I can use for other stuff now :). Any help is greatly appricated.

Chris

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
hi there

is the drive formatted as FAT? This only supports up to 32 GB. What I would do is get all your important data of the drive then format it as NTFS.

regards

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i would agree on formating to NTFS,

but you can format to fat32 if you choose - it can support 8tB (with 32kB clusters) - so an 80gB is no problem

(fat12 is limited to 32mB)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Now that I have my files back i tried doing a right click format drive on it and I only have like 32 gigs free and I know it was an 80 gig harddrive.

What OS are you using on the host PC? Is this old drive partitioned?

Note that Win2K and XP can only format up to 32Gb partitions with FAT32. What OS was that drive originally partitioned and formated on? If that drive was previously formated using FAT32, then it was probably partitioned into at least 3 partitions. You need to right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management and see it says is going on with that drive. Then as suggested, I would delete all partitions, create one new partition, then format using NTFS.

(fat12 is limited to 32mB)

FAT12? Ummm, not sure if you meant FAT16 but either way, 32Mb is incorrect. FAT12 (originally called just FAT until FAT16 was released) supports floppies and partitions up to 16Mb. FAT16 will support 2Gb partitions. And FAT32 will support up to 2Tb (not 8Tb).

For more reading on file system types, see http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

czens

czens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im running vista right now on my laptop and the old drive was windows ex pro i think. ill try the ntfs

czens

czens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
this is what I get when i open my computer management up.

Attached Thumbnails

• drives.jpg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You now need to right click and delete each partition and then you will be able to format as a full partition as NTFS.