Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen - STOP: 0X0000000A

• Please log in to reply

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there,

Just to let you know that I checked back all my startup items and so far no BSOD! :-) If anything new happens will let you know.

Million thanks for all the help!
Salma

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and we will stay with you as long as it takes.
That is great news that you have no BSOD's for this long.
We will continue to monitor this topic so just post and we will get to you asap.

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

Unfortunately, the BSOD appeared again last night.
I am suspecting it has something to do with my portable hard-drive because this is the second time that it appears after I use it. I removed it from the computer and as I shut down the computer it appeared.

Will appreciate your help!

Salma

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that would make sense.
Have you tried shutting down without having used the portable?
Start your system and then shut down without plugging in the portable
Does the BSOD happen then?

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I shut down my laptop every night and if I haven't used the portable the blue screen does not appear.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Seems the problem is then is the way you disconnect the portable.
When you plug it in does a little Icon appear on the bottom right of the screen by the clock?

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, there is the icon which says 'safely remove hardware' which I use to unplug the drive.

The portable drive has two USB plugs - one seems redundant since it is just connected with the other one. I usually use the one connected directly with the drive.

May I am supposed to plug both of them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you provide the make and model of the portable drive?

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it is INTEX 80 gb - unfortunately, I don't have more information on the model but I am trying to get it. It was formatted into two drives each one 40 gb.

One of the problems I am facing with it is that when I try to save data into it using the school computer (on which I have no administrator rights) it refuses to safe and tells me that the disk is right protected or full - which is not the case.

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Unfortunately, I was not able to locate the box in which the drive came to provide you with more information. It is more than one year old.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different USB connector?

it sounds like the drive is having a issue or it is not disconnecting correctly.

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, I also use a memory stick "Kingston datatraveler 2GB" and I did not have any problems with it. I am thinking it might be better to get a new portable hard drive to backup my files - instead of this troublesome one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree with that 100%
It seems you have discovered the culprit and the most sensible resolution to your issue.

Would a external USB HD work for you?
What kind of budget do you have for a replacement?
I can try to find some suggestions for you if you would like.

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the offer, it will be great if you can give some suggestions (brands, reasonable prices). I am not sure what are the range of prices for the portable hard drive, I remember I got mine for $100 but I got it from Dubia - I was not in the US at the time.

But I think there might be another culprit as well - my adapter. Earlier I got a message that my computer is slowing down and I need to change the adapter. I have also noticed that the battery takes very long to charge and it will not charge fully except when the computer is shut down and again it takes long. Even when the adapter is plugged, the computer keeps switching between battery and A/C power. So I am thinking I need to replace it as well! I don't think I have any other option that a Dell adapter.

Thanks for all the help!

salmady

salmady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

Just to update you. I replaced my adaptor and so far things are good. The battery is charging much faster than it used to do and at the same time, the power supply stopped switching between the batter and the A/C power every second.

I really hope this brings an end to the BSOD problem.

Salma