Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

extending wireless.

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i have a wireless network with the router in my garage.
i can't get a signal in the front part of my house
if i add another wireless router somewhere in my house that gets a signal will extend the wireless signal so i could get it in the front of my house. If so will i have to configure as its own network it in windows or will act as an access point for the other network.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Depending on your exact model of router you're using, try checking out a signal booster.

http://www.linksys.c...cid=38&prid=548

Not sure if there is a type you can have setup away from the router though, but I wouldn't doubt it.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
do i have to configure the extender of just plug it in

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Not exactly sure on this one, but there will most likely be some instructions with it and I would bet that there is no configuration. If there is and you cannot figure it out, just post back with whatever the instructions say and I can help you figure it out ;)

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
see the problem is it is my computers are not set up as the admin. so i can't config if i need to. It is my neighbors high speed and if i paid part of the bill they agreed to set it up wireless. They are the admin of the network and on vacation but i mainly use my notebook outside on my pation recent rain made me try inside. but no signal so i just want to have a signal inside so i can use the internet when weather is bad and i can't bring my notebook outside

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well see if they will let you hook up a booster and try it out. If it doesn't work you should be able to take it back to wherever you bought it if you save the receipt. You'll know the first day if it doesn't work.