Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Failure (40), background shows up

• Please log in to reply

jrns281

jrns281

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys,

I can really use your expertise. I have a older computer with Windows XP. I woke up this morning and I restated the computer only to tell me a Disk Failure (40) error. So I hit return and it continues to boot up but whenit completes booting up, it only shows the background and none of my shortcut keys. Also, I cannot bring up the windows menu. The computer does have a 3.5" floppy drive and a CD-ROM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Is that the entire error message or does it start with "Hard disk fail" or "Floppy disk fail"?

Either way, either your hdd or floppy has failed. Try opening the case and disconnect the floppy drive.

Do you still get the error message?

Murray

jrns281

jrns281

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

It says Floppy Disk Fail and does not mention Hard Drive. It does continue to boot up but it only shows the background on the LCD and does not show the shortcut keys or the taskbar on the bottom of the screen.

jrns281

jrns281

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

If I discconect the floopy drive (3.5) it no longer says "Floppy Disk Fail" and then it continues to boot up until the background comes up. However, as I mentioned above, the shortcut keys nor the taskbar shows up.

Thanks for the advice.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. so either the floppy is shot or the cable.

Do you have your XP cd handy?

What is the make and model of your computer?

Murray