Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Issues

• Please log in to reply

EricJB

EricJB

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

I'm currently running Windows 7 RC and have been for the past month and a half or so. Everything has always been fine up until the past two days or so. Two nights ago, my monitor went into standby while I was watching some YouTube videos. I had the side of my PC case off at the time and I could feel heat pumping oout and a weird smell coming from the case.

I shut the power off and unplugged the computer and reached in and touched the GPU's heatsink and it was extremely hot to the touch. So I figured the problem was that the GPU was overheating. My GPU is a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with 1 Gig of RAM. Since this had never happened before, I chalked the problem up to the new Graphic driver Windows Update had me install a few hours earlier. So I went to the Nvidia website and installed their latest driver for the GPU but the problem still persists.

At first it seemed to be with watching videos, now it's just after so long of the PC running the monitor goes into standby so I'm assuming the GPU is still getting too hot.

I've done all that I can to give it more breathing room, such as cleaning the entire case out, blowing dust away and removing unneeded components around the GPU.

I downloaded and ran SpeedFan, which told me the GPU is idling at about 61C-62C. I understand that may be pretty hot, but I just can't understand why this is a problem now, all of a sudden, when for the past month or so everything was fine.

As for Windows 7, my PC passed all the requirements needed to install and my machine has 2 Gigs of RAM, if that helps.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
It sounds like your GPU is slowly dying. As you said 61+ on idle is very hot. Do you have on board video that you can try, do you have warrenty on the GPU.

EricJB

EricJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I just bought this GPU like a month ago from Best Buy. Originally I just had on board video from the motherboard. Is it possible that this GPU is dying already?

Thanks.

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
IT could be a faulty one, i would take it out of the computer and see if the computer runs stable and then if it dose I would take the GPU back to the store and complain until i get a new one.

EricJB

EricJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah, I already called Best Buy and they won't take the GPU back because I threw the packaging away. Apparently they need the box it came in to match up a serial number.

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Contact the manufacture of the GPU they will be happy to help you

EricJB

EricJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, I went out and bought a new case last night. It was time for one anyway. In the new case, I have a 120mm fan on the front bottom blowing air in as well as a 120mm fan on the side blowing in right onto the GeForce. Then, I have a larger fan on the back and another larger fan on the top, both blowing out.

The idling temp of the GPU is now around 56C-57C, which is still pretty hot but lower than it was in the old case.

Also, I've noticed that when the bubbles screensaver in Windows 7 comes on, the GPU's temp shoots up to 63C+. So that makes me wonder if there's a way to lower the settings on the GPU to possibly make it work a little easier? I'm thinking it might be working harder than I need it to.

By the way, great username, exuinox. I own an '08. :)

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yes it is great user name.

With the card there should have been a softwear package, in there there should be a program that you can control the output of the card.

What case do you have? what happens if you take off the case side?

EricJB

EricJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got an Antec Three Hundred. I haven't tried to take the case side off while the PC has been running yet. Should I try that out?

Thanks.

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yes see if that makes a difference. I still think that this card is defective.