Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes library help

• Please log in to reply

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK I do not use iTunes really, but I know Apple has some funky controls on your library.

I have a laptop where the HDD drive died, however, the library is actually on the external hard drive (the whole my music folder)

The external hard drive will be used as the new laptop hdd (it is a laptop HDD in an enclosure)

So I will copy the data, format it, and use it as a new HDD in the laptop, putting on a clean install of windows.

Now I need the library up and running in itunes on this new windows install.

Everything in the library was purchased from iTunes and audible.com

Do I just move it where needed, and authorize the computer again?

Will it just rebuild the database?

What do I do?

Thanks

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Adebisi & Welcome to GTG !

Have you tried to "drag and drop" to your library ?

Are you connecting a device such as an IPOD ????

you would then need to Sync to the devices

Best of luck!

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 24 July 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Haven't done anything yet, Apple has their DRM in place, and I am reluctant to do anything without experienced advice on dealing with it. Google is full of conflicting information, so I just come here where the advice is usually good.

As I said, the hard drive is not formatted yet. It will be formatted and windows xp reinstalled, so there is no way to drag and drop the library into it yet for testing...