Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Start, Does Not Pass First Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I first want to say thank you for taking the time to look at this.

This is a Dell Vostro 1700 with Intel Core 2 Duo - Windows XP. I turn it on and he Dell logo appears along with the loading bar below it. It never gets all the way through. I tried F8 and sometimes I will try F12 nothing works. When I was messing around with the F8 and F12 keys I got a message saying "preparing a one-time boot menu" and never saw it again, then another time I saw a message saying something about the keyboard. I'm not sure whether this topic belongs in this area or in the software department, please advise me to where it belongs, or please move it if this is the wrong area.

Thank you in advanced for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 24 July 2009 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Take a look a This Manual.

Go to page 182 and follow the instructions. Remove the battery and leave it disconnected for 2 minutes. Then reconnect and restart and see if it works.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Take a look a This Manual.

Go to page 182 and follow the instructions. Remove the battery and leave it disconnected for 2 minutes. Then reconnect and restart and see if it works.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
ok i followed the directions on p182 and it still does not start up. I also afterwards shut it off and turned it on and pressed f12 a few times and i get a message at the top right corner saying "preparing one-time boot menu" but it never goes any farther than this point.

I took the computer to some computer service store and he did some type of diagnosis and told me the hard drive is fine as well as the memory, but the motherboard is not. he said we can repair by ordering some new chips to repair and put in, or a whole new motherboard which would be more expensive. this a possibility that it could be the motherboard?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
It looks that way then.

However there is always the possibility of an un-needed repair job, but if you trust the repair technician then go with him. Just watch the price and check your spec when you get the laptop back. Some techie's will just put in some spare parts they have lying around the shop so be careful there.

If you would like to do the tests yourself then i've put instructions below on how to do so but its up to you. If you don't feel it necessary then don't but if you feel you need peace of mind then go ahead.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files download burncdcc.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I'm on a mobile device so ill try my best to type.

"Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device"

I cannot get into the bios at all. I tried f2, f8, and f12. The farthest it would go is to the point where it says "preparing one-time boot menu" but it actually never prepares anything.

I do not trust the guy considering I have never worked with him before but the more and more I see that this is not going anywhere, and that I cannot get into the bios I feel that he may be right with the motherboard suggestion.

What do you mean by not needed hardware being installed, like dangerous hardware that can screw things up or like he has a solution but says its the motherboard to make more money. Oh and he said 185 for the parts and labor. Good?