Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home computer will not start - black screen.

• Please log in to reply

LittleBlueHouse

LittleBlueHouse

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I am using a PC running XP Home with Service Pack 1.

Every time I try to start the computer, I get as far as the Windows welcome screen, but after that the screen goes black and nothing further happens. The computer does start in Safe Mode.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

LittleBlueHouse

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add any hardware or software recently...any software or windows updates...
boot into safe mode...look in the device manager ...got any yellow ! or ? or red X's
did you try restore yet...

Edited by happyrock, 25 July 2009 - 06:08 AM.

LittleBlueHouse

LittleBlueHouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
This is an old computer that I gave up on trying to fix after we bought a new one. A friend of mine needs it, though, so I'd like to get in operational for him. Because I haven't used it in a year and a half, I don't know what was "recently installed."

Device Manager shows nothing unusual.

I have not tried Restore. Should I?

Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...

LittleBlueHouse

LittleBlueHouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was unable to use System Restore because there were no restore points.

Do you have any further ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot up and when you get to the safe mode options page... select Last known Good Configuration

The basic idea behind the Last known Good Configuration is that when Windows boots successfully, it makes note of the current configuration, marking it as good. If a catastrophic configuration change were to occur and Windows is unable to boot, then the system still has a record of a configuration that is known to be good. A boot menu option will allow you to boot Windows using this configuration and restore the known good configuration.

the Last Known Good Configuration option reverses the most recent system and driver changes within the hardware profile. The system and driver configurations are returned to the state they were in at the time of the most recent successful boot. When you boot using the Last Known Good Configuration, Windows also restores the registry settings found beneath the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet key.

Microsoft recommends using the Last Known Good Configuration option as the first technique for repairing a system that won't boot....
if that doesn't work...then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

Edited by happyrock, 27 July 2009 - 05:48 PM.