Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Blaster[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

NormaJBaker2000

NormaJBaker2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just downloaded spyware blaster again and attempted to run it but I received the same message (as follows) as before.

"This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it."

????
-Jenni

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did a little more searching...

Can you find a file called CDPLAYIR.INI? Delete it if found.

Then run these programs:

Download AboutBuster http://www.greyknigh...AboutBuster.zip and unzip it to a folder on your the Desktop. Run AboutBuster and click OK. Click Update and then Check For Update to see if there are any updates. Click Start->OK and then follow the rest of the prompts to scan (choose Yes/OK for all). It will ask you if you want a second scan, choose Yes. Save the log file and post it here.

Download CWShredder at http://www.greyknigh.../CWShredder.exe and run it. Click on 'I Agree' button if you agree with it. Click on 'Fix' (it will automatically fix anything it finds for you) and OK. If it asks if you want to delete a certain random file, choose No and post that filename here. Let it finish the scan and then hit Next and Exit.

Download FixAgent http://www.greyknigh...py/FixAgent.zip and unzip it. Run FixAgent.exe. It should fix something. If nothing is fixed, skip to the next step for the HijackThis fixes. If something is found, also download home_missing_114 http://www.greyknigh...missing_114.zip and unzip it. Run the Home winkey missing batch file. Remember: ONLY run home_missing_114 if FixAgent found something.

Restart and try to install SpywareBlaster.

NormaJBaker2000

NormaJBaker2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi...
1. CDPLAYIR.INI was not found,
2. AboutBuster log:
Scanned at: 10:06:34 PM on: 5/20/2005

-- Scan 1 ---------------------------
About:Buster Version 4.0
Reference List : 26

ADS not scanned System(FAT)
Attempted Clean Of Temp folder.
Pages Reset... Done!

-- Scan 2 ---------------------------
About:Buster Version 4.0
Reference List : 26

ADS not scanned System(FAT)
Attempted Clean Of Temp folder.
Pages Reset... Done!

3. Ran CWShredder and it found nothing.
4. Ran FixAgent and it found nothing also.
Will re-start now and attempt the spyware blaster install.
-Jenni

NormaJBaker2000

NormaJBaker2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Uninstalled then re-installed spyware blaster. Still no dice. Same error message.
-Jenni

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, it seems to be a problem with SpywareBlaster and Windows 98 systems. Since you are using Windows ME, I think it applies to that also. My guess is that works best on NT/2000 and above.

I found a thread at Wilder's discussing this. It's been over a year and I'm not sure when's the update to fix this.

Some user's say it works. They say they got rid of the CWS infection which you don't seem to have here.

So I guess, you can either wait for an update or contact the author at JavaCool and find out what's wrong. Ask him if it works on a Windows ME machine or is that like a Windows 98 (which is my guess).

NormaJBaker2000

NormaJBaker2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok...will do. And thank you again for your help.
-Jenni

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.