Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired LAN problems, detailed specs +TLDR version included

• Please log in to reply

Isrotel

Isrotel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
**********I fixed it************** Downloaded the driver disk files from http://www.ecs.com.t...s...D=6&LanID=9

TLDR= just read "what I know" at the bottom.

Problem: limited or no connectivity on wired LAN

Relevant Info

LAN Port(from device manager: Realtek RTL8168C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS6.0) #2
--is integrated into mobo (ECS GF8200A)
--drivers are up to date, latest release was on the mobo driver disk
--device manager says the port is functioning although the driver installed incorrectly at first (i had to find the driver's setup.exe b/c it wouldn't install correctly through the disk's autorun).

Cables/connections have all been tested with three computers
LAN port LEDs: Yellow light is on. Orange light blinks intermittently esp during first few sec of the cable being plugged in.

IP Address: starts with 169 and Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (unable to acquire real ip)
Ipconfig/release: an error occured while releasing interface Local Area Connection : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.
Ipconfig/renew: An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The Object already exists.
^funny ik

DNS server pings timeout after 2 sec.

Current setup:
Cable Modem
-connected to/connection type:
--A.wireless router/ethernet cable
Wireless Router
-connected to/connection type:
--A. Laptop/wireless signal
--B. Desktop1/ethernet cable (functioning)
--C. Desktop2/ethernet cable (not)

Network Map(COntrol Panel> Network and Internet> Network Map) with functioning desktop unplugged.
--shows desktop to switch to router to laptop.

What I know:
The problem is most likely the new desktop because everything else is working as intended. THe only thing i can think of doing now is buying LAN card so I can determine if this is a hardware or software issue. Two things however are stopping me... mobo is still under warranty so if it is a hardware issue i can get it fixed free(Buying a LAN card is not free), and the ethernet connection is not entirely unsuccessful as it connects to the local network and i can find my laptop under the network tab.

What I want to know:
How to make a successful internet connection.

Solution:

Edit: I read the "important topic" post with name similar to mine. Helped in information gathering but not in finding a solution.

Edit again: Even if I don't find a solution here i would be immensely appreciative if someone could explain to me how the network map shows the modem(switch) and yet there is no internet connectivity. Any ideas just to slake my curiosity and give me a jumping off point for further research.

Edited by Isrotel, 25 July 2009 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

JSteel86

JSteel86

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm a few years late but in case anyone else gets this issue. I've found that the issue was that I told the router to give me the same IP address for Wi-Fi and for my Ethernet port. I did this knowing that it's impossible to have two active network cards with the same IP, but I hoped Windows would prefer Ethernet (it kind of does but...) 

Even if you disconnect Wi-Fi, windows knows that you have a least for that IP address for n # of seconds (usually a day?) and while your lease exists, it will not allow another device to use that IP address (even when it gets it via DHCP), it just fails with the error "The Object already exists", probably because it is trying to store information about the connection somewhere using a hash of your IP address, but it already exists there for another network interface (Wi-Fi in my case).

The solution for me, rather annoyingly, is to release the IP from Wi-Fi before connecting Ethernet and it doesn't appear to be possible to release an IP address when that adapter is inactive (unplugged, not connected to wifi) so I switch back and forth with these specific steps:

Going Wireless:

1. Open command prompt
  2. run ipconfig /release Wi-Fi
  3. run ipconfig /renew Ethernet
  4. Unplug Ethernet

Back to Ethernet:

1. Plugin Ethernet & Open command prompt
  2. run ipconfig /release Wi-Fi
  3. run ipconfig /renew Ethernet

I have renamed my connections "Wi-Fi" and "Ethernet" for simplicity. Use ipconfig /all to get the names of all your connections. Probably something like "Local Area Connection 1" and "Wireless Network 1"? It's handy to have the same IP for Wireless / Wired if you forward a lot of ports to your machine's IP address, the easier solution if you don't forward ports is to let your router assign a different IP to your Wired and Wireless adapters (the default for probably every router).

mdcclxv

mdcclxv

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm a few years late but in case anyone else gets this issue. I've found that the issue was that I told the router to give me the same IP address for Wi-Fi and for my Ethernet port. I did this knowing that it's impossible to have two active network cards with the same IP, but I hoped Windows would prefer Ethernet (it kind of does but...) 

Even if you disconnect Wi-Fi, windows knows that you have a least for that IP address for n # of seconds (usually a day?) and while your lease exists, it will not allow another device to use that IP address (even when it gets it via DHCP), it just fails with the error "The Object already exists", probably because it is trying to store information about the connection somewhere using a hash of your IP address, but it already exists there for another network interface (Wi-Fi in my case).

The solution for me, rather annoyingly, is to release the IP from Wi-Fi before connecting Ethernet and it doesn't appear to be possible to release an IP address when that adapter is inactive (unplugged, not connected to wifi) so I switch back and forth with these specific steps:

Going Wireless:

1. Open command prompt
  2. run ipconfig /release Wi-Fi
  3. run ipconfig /renew Ethernet
  4. Unplug Ethernet

Back to Ethernet:

1. Plugin Ethernet & Open command prompt
  2. run ipconfig /release Wi-Fi
  3. run ipconfig /renew Ethernet

I have renamed my connections "Wi-Fi" and "Ethernet" for simplicity. Use ipconfig /all to get the names of all your connections. Probably something like "Local Area Connection 1" and "Wireless Network 1"? It's handy to have the same IP for Wireless / Wired if you forward a lot of ports to your machine's IP address, the easier solution if you don't forward ports is to let your router assign a different IP to your Wired and Wireless adapters (the default for probably every router).

U da man :) Saved me from a lot of headache, been fighting with this for a few days now. Thanks a million.