Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem old IDE Hard Disk on new Dell 8400 PC

• Please log in to reply

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a new Dell 8400 PC, windows XP. I have a problem trying to move the data from old computer on a western digital 60GB HD IDE type to the new Dell PC. The new PC has a different HD with USB cable. The Dell people said install the old HD in the IDE cable. New Dell came with 2 CD ROMS on the IDE cable. I disconnected one cd rom and installed the old HD. On bootup the new Dell recognized the old HD. but on looking at My Computer, it did not show the old HD. On looking at Control Panel, Adminstrative tools. Computer Management, Disk Management, it shows the basic Dell HD with 372GB with 3 partitions, file systems, NTFS, FAT, and FAT32. It shows my old western digital 60GB HD with its two partitions but does not show a file system for them. The old HD was used in old pc using windows 98se. The two partitions on old pd were the C drive system and D drive with data. :tazz: ;) In Dell My Computer i cannot see my western digital HD. How do i get the new Dell PC to bring up the old western digital HD files so i can move the data to the new dell pc?

thanks, emery

Advertisements

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
UNPLUG BOTH CDROM THEY WILL BE SET TO CABLE SELC so plug hdd on its own on boot up it should detect it and away u go when fin just put it back as was

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Supergeek.dcse,

Thank you so much for replying to me & making recommendations. I did as you said. taking out the other cd rom so there were none in system.
I put in the HD from other pc in the IDE slot/connector in the new Dell pc with various configurations( I attahed pic of screen of control panel):

1. i left the jumper in slave mode in HD (from old pc with win98se), removed the cable and power to other cd rom in the new Dell computer. On start up i got error: "parallel ATA, PATA-1, PRI IDE slave not found" (and i got similar errors with different jumper and IDE connector positions for HD). On looking at the Computer Management of Control Panel i always get the output: " Disk 1(the HD from old pc) is found but has no file system & no volume" and on looking at My Computer it does not show up.

2. I took the HD jumper out, making it a Single HD, Installed it on the IDE cable. Left out the cd rom drive. THe IDE cable has 3 connectors, one for motherboard, 2 for cd roms. I switched the position of the HD to the last connector. On start up, i got similar errors as in #1. and same results.

3. I put the HD jumper in the master position, put it in center connector of IDE cable, left ouit the cd rom drives and got same results(about) as in #1.

When i called Dell before i sent this message, they said that windows 98se HD's could not be mixed with the new Dell HD? I'm not sure if that is true, since Dell has been wrong before.

What am i doing wrong? The error message at start up suggests going to BIOS but i 'm a bit afraid of changing that stuff without expert help.

What should i do now? Thanks for trying.

emery :tazz: ;)

Attached Files

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well, Just so you dont go crazy, i took the old HD and put it back into my old pc to see what was going on. It has a problem i think. I does not come up. ( it worked fine before). It was fine before i put it in the Dell pc. Now i cant get the drive recognized on My Computer. although on boot up it does see it. In the Microsfot System Information on the Accessories, on Storage and also on problem devices, it is said to be "A device Has a Problem, I was puttin it in as the Slave, Scondary IDE device and under what is called the Secondary IDE controller it says "The deivice has been disabled in the hardware. To use this device it said, you must re enable the hardware." Do you know what that means? Did i blow out the HD on moving it around between computeres?
This would be too bad, as all my data is on it. I had a backup on an external Maxtor HD with USB port and that has gone into a deep sleep and i cannot get it to wake up, although the power light is on. Its a mess with both the main HD from the old pc, and my backup external HD are now down. I tried to put the External Maxtor HD into the new pc with no luck. Now i am at a loss what to do. Do you know?

thanks, emery

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
put the hd in theold com as master and see if it is still working see if bios is seeing it then see if it will boot in what ever mode dos or safe just to see if its still working if you can get it to do any thing on the old machine we might be able to get it to work in the dell

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
In the old PC, with this HD with all my data as a master or as a single HD the pc stops when it is booting at "Verifying Pool Data" right after the list of PCI device listing w/IRQ's, lists the primary master disk, lba, ata 100, 60025MB, parallel bits 378, and slave dect sdram at rows 0 1. I cant get it to menu of chosing "Safe" mode. The BIOS shows both HD"s and when i boot up with the Slave HD (another HD i reformated and put windows 98se ) and look at control panel, system, hard drives, it shows both HD"s. The dell pc said that the HD with all my data was missing a file system. FAT, or FAT32. Thanks for trying. I booted on floppy and it does not see the HD with all my data. I might have shorted something out? or messed up the HD?

Got any more recommendations?, thanks

emery

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Supergeek.dcse

Thank you so much for replying and giving me the answers. YOU WERE CORRECT!! The original internal HD from other computer is badly corrupted with non-dos partitions and will not come up in either Dell or old PC. I had a backup on data on an external HD. I found how to make my external HD, which was not working, into an internal HD and it did work fine. I moved it to the Dell new pc and got all of my data back!, THANK YOU!! If i find a way to recover original HD data with deep data recovery techniques, is anyone interested in findings?

Emery

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
if you send me your email addres i will lend you winternal recovery

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Supergeek.dcse,

Gee!!, thank you!, Email address is emery191@comcast.net

Latest discovery on old pc was a loose wire. interrmittent, Drove us nuts for 6 months.
\\
thanks!

emery

sgben

sgben

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am in the same predicament that you were in. I have a new 8400 and an old western digital hd and need to do the same thing that you did but I don't want to lose my data. How did you end up resolving the issue? Dell said to do what you tried and failed.

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
HI SGBEN, THE 8400 i have is CONFIGURED with one big HD and 2 CD ROM s. the simple solution is to disconnect bpth cd rom s and use that connector for your IDE western digital HD s from your old PC. I at first made a block of wood so HD would physically fit into cd rom slot, but that is not necessary if you are not leaving the hd in dell. just with case open plug in the HD from old PC and let it dangle in a safe spot (NOT SHORTED)and dont close the box aand turn on dell pc and it should find the hd. my problem was my hd from old pc had somehow got mishandled, or // AND GOT CORRUPTED WHEN I MOVED IT and the dell could not see the data.. The other hd's that i have moved betweenn old pc and new dell have beeen no problem in new dell in the ide bus. dell finds them automatically, etc. if you have really valuable data, you should back it up, so that in the weird situation you have a probelm you are not stuck. i had an extral hd i bought for old pc, so before i moved the hd that had backup data, i made a second backup just in case, but it turne3ed out this was not needed. you should be aware of the jumpers on you hd for master and slave, etc. i dont think this is a big deal but dell might not like two master hd's but i am not sure of that. i think the dell xp is smart to figure it out automatically. take care,

emery

sgben

sgben

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I did everything that you stated yesterday and it gave me an error that said drive 5 could not be found. I too changed the jumper, etc. and nothing. It wouldn't even let me in the computer. Any other suggestions?

Edited by sgben, 11 June 2005 - 09:30 AM.

ejmmmm

ejmmmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, SGBEN, I would have to know your congifuration of the dell, and of the older pc. does the dell start up at all? why did you say it doesnt start up?, what system? windows 98? xp?? give more details/ you need to go back to old pc and put in hd, if all of that is working??? is it?? do you use yahoo? thanks, emery