Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Vista

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Just bought a laptop with Vista installed. Was used to Win XP. Am very frustrated trying to find my way around on Vista. Most help sites tell me what things are but not how to access differing features. Am going around in circles:(

Most pressing problem now is trying to find how to adjust icons on desktop, format their titles, enlargen the scroll bar and caption buttons all of which was a one feature window on XP but now either is so scattered or seemingly non-existent.

Can advise?

PC Specs:
Dell Inspron 1545
Processor - Pentium ® Dual-Core CPU
T4200@ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
Memory 4.00 GB
Rating 3.8 windows experience index
System Type 64 bit operating system

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

See HERE for instructions on modifying the size of your Desktop icons.

To rename one all you have to do is right click on it and select "rename" to be offered a text field.

You get other options if you right click on your icon and go to "Properties."

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It works beautifully. Do thank you so very much. Is there also such a link to make the caption buttons and scroll bar larger or do I need to post anew or this?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I apologize but I don't know what you mean by caption buttons and scroll bar. Could you give me an example of what they do or are used for?

A picture would be great. If you know how to use Paint (Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint) you can paste a screenshot of your computer by pressing the "PrtSc" button on the top right of your keyboard and going to "Edit > Paste" in Paint. You can then circle what you mean by those. Save the file and "Attach" it to your next reply (you need to use the "Add Reply" button to get the option.

If you cannot create a screenshot just try to describe it to me as best you can.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Have done a print screen but not sure how to attach to this forum but will try. Hope I have done it correctly. The scroll bar is the bar like on the left pane that you use to navigate up and down a page. The caption buttons are the little buttons top right corner of the screen with the minimize/maximize and delete sign on them. At least I have always been told these terms for such.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You did good.

I'm pretty sure neither of those can be resized through a regular option in Windows. It would probably require some delving into the registry to change that and this is normally not recommended.

I see though that your taskbar is double the normal size. This is the bar with the Windows button (Start button). To resize this you can move your mouse to the upper extremity of the taskbar, and your mouse will change into a vertical line with arrows on the top and the bottom. You can click and drag the top part of the taskbar to resize it as you wish.

Another thing you can try is changing your screen's resolution. Right click on your Desktop and go to "Personalize". Then click on "Screen Resolution". You can change your screen's resolution by dragging the bar you will see to the right or left and clicking on "Apply" to note the changes.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
In the "Personalize" menu (Right click on your Desktop) you will see other things you can mess around with to make your computer look nicer such as color schemes and themes.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I hope what your saying is not true:( I could always do the resizing in XP and I do know about the Personalized feature here on Vista - it does not resize the scrollbar or caption buttons. A right click on desktop of XP brought up a menu with properties and in that screen were all kinds of options to change things. Can't believe Vista did not retain this feature somehow.

And I deliberately made my tool bar large - I have a very difficult time working/seeing things too small. Which is why I want to change other things. Do thank you for your help though - will keep pursuing BUT staying out of the registry!

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Let's try this:

Click on your windows button on the bottom left and in the search bar type in desk.cpl . Press enter and a window should open.

Click on the appearance tab and then click on Advanced. Then in the drop down menu labled "item" select "scrollbar" and then change the size.

If not try looking for it here:
Open personalization > windows color and appearance > Open classic
appearance properties > Advanced > Item > scrollbar then adjust the
size.

Edited by NeonFx, 25 July 2009 - 11:13 AM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hey sounds like you are on the right tract and I followed you right up to desk.cpl BUT strangely when that window opens next - there is no appearance tab on my screen?! Have I missed something here or is my configuration a bit different on this PC? Thought we were home on this one but may need a bit more direction. Will keep trying on this end.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Did you try looking for it here?

Open personalization > windows color and appearance > Open classic
appearance properties > Advanced > Item > scrollbar then adjust the
size.

Some of those steps will be in the left-side panel. I wish I had my vista computer with me at the moment to tell you exactly where it is.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hey Hey you hit pay dirt!!!!!!! That is the window I have been searching for now for over a week!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Feel like I have been rescued from a desert. Now I can configure my whole PC. Probably would still be 'out there' wandering about were it not for this site. On to the next Vista frustration:)

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
:) awesome.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
can I come back for more issues re Vista? And should I just continue this post or start a new one?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
If you reply to this thread I'll get notification by email. If you create a new one someone else will come along and help you out. You might get help quicker that way.