Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System recovery

• Please log in to reply

BarrytheGreek

BarrytheGreek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to do a complete system recovery from the recovery partition on my laptop (HP G6000) .However when I hit f11 on startup to enter system recovery nothing happens . I did a recovery a while ago & I'm assuming that was how I did it ,is there another way to run it ? Vista home premium

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go :)

Here is a link
to HP for your notebook...

According to the site if you can't get the recovery manager to work, then you will need to use the recovery disk you should have created when you first purchased the computer...

Hopefully this helps, let me know if it works

Good luck

Cbarnard

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try pressing F11 at HP logo.

BarrytheGreek

BarrytheGreek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to do a system recovery from the recovery partition on my laptop (HP G6000) however when I hit f11 at startup as it says , nothing happens , just goes to a blank screen . I then have to turn machine off to get out of it . Is there another way to run the recovery partition . I'm using Vista home premium .

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I had a Dell laptop that when I turned it on and wanted to run the recovery partition by "supposedly" just pressing F11 upon startup it would never word so to get it to work I'd restart the laptop and right after the bios screen I'd keep pressing F11 + Fn (Fn key usually down by the space bar). It always worked when I did that. You can try just continuously pressing the F11 key right after the bios screen and see if that works. I know sometimes it takes awhile to get it at the right time. Also, if you can't get it to go into the recovery program at startup and you can logon to your computer then you can just start the HP Recovery program from the start menu.

Hope this helps.
Later

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Press F11 at HP logo.
What the reason for running recovery?

BarrytheGreek

BarrytheGreek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you , didn't get email notification of replies . I can access recovery manager (which I'd actually forgotten about - Doh!) but doesn't help . When I select 'System recovery' laptop shuts down then restarts straight to a blank screen same as when I hit f11 at HP logo - I leave it a while but nothing

BarrytheGreek

BarrytheGreek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'd forgotten I'd posted question before but not getting notifications

http://www.geekstogo...65#entry1591665

Sorry for confusion .

I've tried everything now - recovery partition , f11 , f11 + fn

The reason for the recovery ... I had a few problems & had only a couple of days before done an Acronis backup so I ran the Acronis backup but the cable to the external drive somehow became disconnected . I'm assuming I could probably run the Acronis backup again (making sure the connections are correct) but want to be sure I can run a recovery to factory defaults if something goes wrong . I have both a recovery partition & discs I made when I bought the machine .