Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

grandpaclint

grandpaclint

• Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks in advance for letting me in here.

my problem is, my wife has an E machine with windows xp home, 1 partition is windows
and the other course is repair.
the operating system is working, but i think windows is corrupt, soooo as i have done a few times on my compaq i want to re-install/repair windows, i cannot do that on
her pc, i go to system repair and the only choice i get is to insert a boot cd
well she doesn't have one, and i cant make one . i have tried the f2-f11 all the f keys
the screen that does come up for repair has other choices but i cant access them
only load bootable cd. i hope you can help, i sure dont want to reformat the drive.

thanks for any help

Clint
az

Advertisements

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hello welcome to Geeks To Go!

Do you have access to some one with a windows xp cd? You can use that cd to reformat windows using your wifes cd key. Just make sure to use a windows xp pro for a pro key, Home cd for a home key etc.

Another thing you can do is get a hold of the maker of the pc and they should have a place where you can download or buy the recovery cds.

Davis

grandpaclint

grandpaclint

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello welcome to Geeks To Go!

Do you have access to some one with a windows xp cd? You can use that cd to reformat windows using your wifes cd key. Just make sure to use a windows xp pro for a pro key, Home cd for a home key etc.

Another thing you can do is get a hold of the maker of the pc and they should have a place where you can download or buy the recovery cds.

Davis

Davis
thanks for the input, i have ordered windows xp home with sp2. I put an old hard drive i had in her pc, and will cut/paste everything she has on e:\
reformat c:\ install the fresh windows os get rid of that [bleep] pc angel partition
that i cant access and go from there, unless you have an easier solution
either way i am out the$$$ for the xp dvd

thanks

Clint

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
You could have borrowed someones xp and just used your product key