Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ASUS Live Update / Internet Explorer stopped working

• Please log in to reply

linhmartin

linhmartin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm running Vista Home Premium on an ASUS PRO50series laptop with Duo T2330 CPU, 1.6MHz processor and 160GB HDD / 2GB RAM (both of which have about 50% free space). I'm not aware of having done anything "strange" to the software, but whenever I boot-up I usually have to wait several minutes while "Windows" searches for a solution to the problem message "ASUS Live Update has stopped working". I get many helpful suggestions to install yet more updates, but the same thing then happens again, and not just at boot-up but also periodically while I'm using email or browsing the internet. Less frequently, but equally frustrating, is the error message "Internet Explorer has stopped working", which is followed by a message telling me that Windows has closed down my internet connection "to protect your computer" (even when I'm just on the internet home page, msn, which I use and have used dozens of times daily for many years without experiencing any problems). Does anyone have a simple answer as to what might be the cause of these problems (and any known solutions)?

Edited by linhmartin, 25 July 2009 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

linhmartin

linhmartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Broni
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get started with all the malware stuff. I've finally managed to work my way through it all and have various OTL, Root Repeal etc reports uploaded with my topic in the Malware section.
Just thought it worth mentioning that, in the meantime, I uninstalled Ad-Aware so I'm now only running Symantec's Norton 360 anti-virus etc software - and I'm not sure if it's coincidental or related but the ASUS Live Update outages now seem to have stopped (at least for the time being!), and the Internet Explorer outages seem to have dramatically reduced.
I mention this now because I appear to have a clean bill of health from the various malware etc scans I did while working through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, so could well be directed back here in due course.
Cheers for now
Linhmartin

Edited by linhmartin, 02 August 2009 - 01:31 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you actually start a new topic in malware section?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) HERE :) :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks Ron.
Let's wait for the verdict.

linhmartin

linhmartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again Broni / Ron. No response to my post in the malware section yet, but just thought I'd advise that I've uninstalled ASUS Live Update so that particular problem no longer exists. But I still get "Internet Explorer has stopped working to protect your computer" (something called DEP seems to be responsible) even when I'm opening harmless tabs like Google, etc.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Definitely put a post in the waiting room.

linhmartin

linhmartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Troy - I've just been there but they ask for a link to the original post, which I don't know how to do. Nor do I know how to find the post I put in the malware section at Broni's suggestion. I'm no computer expert and even find it difficult to navigate around this site (took me ages to work out how to post a reply, for example). Grateful for any help you can offer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
copy the link below and paste it in your Waiting Room topic

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/ASUS-Live-Update-Internet-Explorer-have-stopped-working-t247666.html

linhmartin

linhmartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Ron, will do.

RLeighTardif

RLeighTardif

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm also running Windows Vista Home Premium. I've been having Internet Explorer close randomly for quite sometime.
However, the last few days, it's gotten worse. Tonight, it closed at least a dozen times. I'm getting the same
message "internet explorer has stopped working."

I thought the problem might be with windows Vista because I'm having other issues as well.
I'm anxious to see what you find out, as it's probably my problem, as well.

Rhonda