Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advanced Air Cooling or Liquid Cooling, which is better for me?

• Please log in to reply

Radeon28

Radeon28

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first post at the geeks to go forum, so I'll not to screw it up.

Lately I have been considering trying my hand at OCing my GPU and CPU. I don't want to go overboard with my OCing, but I do want to be able to see the difference after I OC.

After doing a good amount of research, and checking my computers current temperatures, it became quite obvious that I'll need better cooling in order to pull this off. Let me start out first by tell you what parts I'm considering upgrading the cooling on, they include:

CPU: Socket 939 AMD Athlon64 FX-60 stock clocked at 2.61GHz running at 52*C

GPU: ATI Radeon x1950 : gPU clocked at 506MHz (648MHz requested) and Graphics Memory at 594Mhz (999Mhz requested) running at 77*C

As you can see, both processors are running hot, especially the GPU. Here are my 2 solution ideas (not sure if retail links are allowed on site, so I'll just give the names):

Air Solution:
ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler for the GPU
COOLER MASTER V8 for the CPU
Also considering Kingston HyperX KHX-FAN for my RAM, incase I decide to OC the RAM at a later date.

Liquid Solution:
Completely self built liquid cooling system from DangerDen.

Obviously the Liquid solution is going to cool better, but it will cost almost twice as much. My question for the forum members: which cooling solution should I go with, considering the age of my parts and what I want to do with them?

Regards,
Tim

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
It all depends on how far you want to push your system. What you selected will suite fine for OC'ing the system. I am running this on my CPU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835200024 and it keeps it cool at a 1.05ghz oc

If you plan on really pushing the limits then you'll want to get liquid.

EDIT: Some temps
cpu
idle about 40c
under full load 55c
gfx
idle 55c with riviatuner 65c w/out
load 65c with riviatuner 80+c w/out

Edited by amw_drizz, 26 July 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Radeon28

Radeon28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend trying to OC a little bit before i upgrade the cooling, just to see where the temps would go? Or should I not even attempt until better cooling is there and ready to help.

Thanks again!

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
In my past experience with amd they run hot. More than likely the system won't be stable until you get better cooling. So I would get the cooling upgrades then start OC'ing it slowly