Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connection speeds seriously reduced.

• Please log in to reply

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, Recently I just solved a Malware problem with Handhman, you can find the thread here:

http://www.geekstogo...ed-t245573.html

After we finished up I started noticing a performance and speed issue when it comes to connectivity of my internet, At first I thought of it as a problem with my ISP, so I waited a bit... But it never corrected itself and now I have sometimes extremly slow internet when normally it is lightning fast, and it was before the malware remove process. I am wondering what I did wrong or whats going on? Thanks.

Advertisements

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I suggest you PM Handhman and ask him this question, he will know what got changed.

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I already asked him... He told me to post here, so I did. Hope I get help soon! =-]

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What are the results from here: http://www.speedtest.net/
What's your ISP advertised speed?
What browser\version do you use?

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here is my speed test: Posted Image

My ISP says I can get speeds up to 10-12 MPS. im getting about that according to the test but pages take long to load..

I am currently using Firefox 3.5 which is the latest version, I hate using IE.

Hello by the way... Thanks for the help, hope we can resolve this soon. =-]

Edited by JMonsterDesign, 26 July 2009 - 10:18 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Speed looks good, Firefox is sweet, where exactly is the slowness?

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah that's what I say, the speed is great, what I don't understand is why web pages take forever to load, like this site www.ign.com takes up to 3-5 minutes to load and is real sluggish, not only that site but every other major site.

I think it may have something to do with the mvps Host files I installed, I am not blaming anyone but Handhfan (In fact i thanked him for helping me) wanted me to replace them with these: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. I just want my lightning fast speed back, Its like the old days when I used to roll with dial up lol...I know the speed is there but web sites load real slow.

For reference you can check it here, Post #15: http://www.geekstogo...ed-t245573.html

Thanks, Jay

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same thing?

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Broni, unfortunately it is the same thing its a bit faster but that's it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can see, you use Windows Live OneCare as your security program. Are you still getting updates, because that program should has bee discontinued as of June 30?

Try this...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

JMonsterDesign

JMonsterDesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Not sure about one care, but its just as useless as every other Anti virus/ fire wall I ever used, there is no such thing as a perfect anti virus/firewall. Commodo is prob the best i used so far.

Your advice had no effect, it just slowed my pc down even more, had to use system restore.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest Firefox clean reinstall: http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox