Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

catch 22

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm working on a dell xp pro machine with the following error upon restarting:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I went into the recovery console off a xp pro disk (was not installed on the hard drive) and replaced the c:\windows\system32\config\system file with the c:\windows\repair\system.bak file (.bak extension removed).

I used the "system.bak" file because, in the \repair folder, a "system" file did not exist (contrary to ms kb artical 307545). I have other dells in the office and tried to copy the "system" file onto a cd for transfer onto the flawed computer (too large for a floppy), but it's useless because the recovery console is running from an xp disk in the only cd drive.

Upon exiting, windows now boots until it reaches the black microsoft windows xp screen, but never makes it any further (in normal mode). In safe mode, windows boots until it gets to a list of drivers and then locks up.

I tried going back into the recovery console, and it's now asking for a password, which of course is invalid. I looked up fixes for this problem and they all require going into windows. I also noted that it may be possible to work around the password if you boot from a windows 2000 cd.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, including opening the window and throwing the [bleep] thing onto the street.