Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do u trust google

• Please log in to reply

Superman123

Superman123

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Anyone trust google??.i just found out they store pretty much everything.dunno if its true or not but just random night reading.what do yall think about it?.im pretty sure microsoft and yahoo web searches also do the same

PS link of what im reading http://www.seomoz.or...data-collection

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
That article has come up on GeeksToGo before.

In my view Google do what they have to do. They store the information required and they use it to help the average users to use the web. I don't think there is ever any malicious attempt and they don't need to make an extra $100 selling off your personal information to ad companies. They just don't need it, or do it.

I mean come on really, wow Google know what browser im using :happy: that means that my personal information is at stake :rolleyes: ...I think not. Also the order of Google is by the use of the web page being displayed eg web pages viewed more often go up except if you buy in at the top of the search list. So the only way they are going to do this really is by looking at what you search.

He's also mentioning that Google checkout uses your bank details...well then how do they know were to take and give the money. Surely that's like going to Amazon and saying "I want to buy this but im not going to give you my post code and account details because then you will have them...
However like you said every other search engine does it. Its just Google is bigger than them and so they get the blame. Its like the fast food joints its their fault for making people fat...but if you don't buy it, you do do it.

That's just my honest opinion on the issue, and besides a person who depicts a multi billion dollar company as umpa lumpas really cant be trusted on the web :)

Its nice to have a good rant in the morning. It sets your day off well :lol:

Welcome to GeeksToGo btw :)

Edited by rev_olie, 04 September 2009 - 09:59 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm not really worried about it. If someone really wants to find out or know stuff about me they can do it in many ways. It's just like if I pass by someone on the street and for some reason they take interest in me, they could do all sorts of investigating and cracking to find out all my personal info. Its like being worried about posting pictures of your kids on the internet, why? Person after person sees them walking down the street with you everyday, it is no different.

Think of the millions and millions that use Google? You have better odds of winning the lottery before someone picks out your name out of those millions and gets into your personal stuff. If they use the personal info as a whole group(everyone using google), I could care less.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Gmail is capitalized Gmail. I have Google's mobile Gmail app and mobile Google app on my BlackBerry, and in both apps it is spelled Gmail. Not sure what point you're attempting to make?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Well because as the quote in my last post the guy in the original article the OP linked to made a big fuss about GMail actually being spelled Gmail which in my view is wrong, and in Googles view at most and so made me laugh that he had the guts to complain about something he was him self wrong about. That's all :)
(id had a hard morning and the little thing brought out the best in me :) )

Edited by rev_olie, 26 July 2009 - 02:13 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think the guy who wrote the article is saying that Google spells it GMail and he is saying that it should only have once capital letter, Gmail. According to Sari's apps, (whoever it was that created them) spells it Gmail. :)

So I don't know what the heck is going on, or what is right! :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Haha i've done an awesome job of confusing you lot :)

I think along with Saris app and Google think it should be GMail
But the article guy thinks its Gmail. And thus the complaint

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's Gmail. Go to gmail.com and see for yourself. The two apps I have on my phone are Google apps, downloaded from Google itself, and they also spell it Gmail - capital G, lowercase m.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
When it came out, it was spelled GMail. The capitalized M was dropped somewhere in transition.

Yep, I've been using gmail that long. (Some people just don't capitalize. Or they spell it gamil, like me when I'm frantically typing in an attempt to check my email faster :))

Edited by Fredil, 26 July 2009 - 07:53 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Anyone trust google??

Google is your friend… as a GIT you will learn this :)

Advertisements

AlexBlack

AlexBlack

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I trust google. In all reality its a matter of what searches you do. I do not search my name and address, ever since that incident with another web search releasing info (AOL I think). But the point is, even if I didn't trust them, my job as IT would be exponentially harder without it, so I'm just glad its here.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I trust google with everything. Google apps, gmail, google reader, google, google maps, google earth, google street and soon to be google OS. I'm a G man.

Google should use that as a marketing campaign. Were all G-men and G-ladies!! :)

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Google should use that as a marketing campaign. Were all G-men and G-ladies!! :)

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the people at Google hadn't figured that out already. Except, the term 'G-man' already exsists... and has for a long time.

A quote from Wikipedia:

G-Man (short for Government Man) is slang for a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent.

If we're all G-men and G-ladies... where are all the crooks? :)

Btw rcramm, I also lived in the 'Land of Lincoln' for many years. Chicago was my town. Haven't been there since '83. Through Google maps (thankfully!), I could visit my old neighborhoods, schools... you name it. I guess I'm thankful for Google. I trust Google. Too bad they haven't (yet) made photos of the city where I live now. It's a boom town!
Stay cool...

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Well gee...Goodness Gracious...Golly Gee...Good Grief...Geez Whiz...

Google's new saying should be "All your Internets are now belong to us!"....

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

G-Man (short for Government Man) is slang for a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent.

lol I guess the subliminal message wouldn't work but if they could find a name like that that doesn't relate to google being the government it might be good!!

Well gee...Goodness Gracious...Golly Gee...Good Grief...Geez Whiz...

Google's new saying should be "All your Internets are now belong to us!"....

they do actually want to have all the information on the internet on to be accessible through them. I personally am ok with it. They don't sell my information they just use it to advertise on their site for stuff that I might actually want. I like that because instead of looking at advertisements that I would never need or use. I get stuff thats relevant to what I use regularly. just my opinion.