Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Problems, Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

DRobson

DRobson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I'm having real problems with my computer. First off, it will not shut down easily. I have to Ctrl - Alt - Delete and hit shutdown multiple times. After a couple times I get a message that "version is not responding." I click End Task, and it shuts down. I looked online to figure out the shutdown problem, and I read that it may be a driver problem (can't remember what website that was). So, the article said to delete and reinstall all drivers, so I did. Well, now my display is not working properly. I can not adjust anything, it is stuck on 16 color. Please help, I can't take this thing much more!!

Thanks,
Doug
Pittsburgh, PA

Advertisements

hmwalters3

hmwalters3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It sounds like it may be time for a fresh re-install of Windows ME.

DRobson

DRobson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I fixed the display problem, but am still having the shutdown problem. Any more info would help.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please repeat the shutdown and relay the message "version is not responding"

version of what?

DRobson

DRobson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's just it, I don't know "version of what." I try to shut down, and the screen gets that "shaded" look as if it's getting ready to shut down. It sits like that for maybe a minute or two, then that "version is not responding.........end task / wait / cancel" window pops up. I don't know what it's talking about. I tried disc cleanup, scandisc, and disc defragmentor in hopes that one of these would fix the problem, but they did not.
Also, windows is acting goofy as well. For instance, it will not let me open the control pannel from the start menu, and other little things like that.
Do you think that doing a "windows refresh" will help? If so, can you instruct me on how to do so or point me to a website that will.

Thanks so much for your time!
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
used to be an old dos command called setver or set version...wonder if that is it?

Hmm, ok. Give me a hijackthis log (see signature) and post it here....not looking for malware, just what is running