Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor Swap

• Please log in to reply

Nicho67

Nicho67

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello to all,
I am planning on building my own computer, and basically all I need is a new mobo because my current on is not SLI and I want one with SLI and I am just going to take parts from this computer and use them for my new one. I was wondering though, if it is possible, as long as the new mobo is compatible with the processor, if I can just take out the processor and put it in the new mobo. I have a AMD Phenom quad core 3.0 Ghz, and I would rather not have to buy a new one as those processors are expensive, so I am wondering if it would be possible for me to take that processor out of my computer and put it in a new mobo. Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Providing the new board supports your processor, it'll be fine.

Nicho67

Nicho67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay thank you, and i have another question. If i didn't want to fork up the money to buy a new PSU for SLI mode, could a use a separate PSU to to power just the second card? or would that be bad or not work? I have a 500W PSU in my computer now, and i took out a 300W, and i was wondering if i could use the 300W to power the second card so that it doesn't make the 500W explode

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That would not be possible. What is the make/model of your 500W PSU?

Nicho67

Nicho67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, i didn't think so, i was just wondering...its an Antec BP500U

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What video cards will you be running in SLI? Your PSU could handle some SLI pairs, such as a pair of 9600GTs.

Edited by stettybet0, 26 July 2009 - 10:51 PM.

Nicho67

Nicho67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yea, already know i am going to need a new one, i'm going to be running a pair of 9800 GT Superclocked