Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSODs after (you guessed it) lightning

• Please log in to reply

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
There can be some pretty bad thunderstorms in Boston... anyways, a couple of days ago, I was unfortunately not at home to turn the computer off during a thunderstorm. A car crashed into a telephone pole, power went out, and the computer has been getting BSODs ever since. They all involve wdmaud.sys and say that "An attempt was made to write to read-only memory." A Google search did nothing useful in helping to resolve the problem.

If I reboot, I can use the computer until I shut it down... then the BSOD comes up again and I have to reboot. I'm hoping it won't go downhill from here, as the last backups I made were quite a while ago...

*Fredil should make more backups! :)

Any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can boot into safe mode...backup all your data first...
then try running chkdsk /r...
FYI...I unplug all my computers and peripherals from the wall when there is lightning in the area..

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

...backup all your data first...

:) :) That's a given... we're looking into buying an external drive to back up all our stuff to. The computer is usable as long as we don't reboot it!

I will try running chkdsk AFTER I have backed up my stuff :rolleyes:

Thanks! :happy: