Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reload Vista with another Oem disk

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Can I use my Oem cd to reinstall a friends pc and use his key numbers. We are talking both running vista home prem. oem. Also can you take an home prem. oem disk and reinstall a pc with oem .home basic. ? I know you can use a home version of xp cd to install another oem home on another pc along as he or she has the windows license tag and numbers. picky

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OEM disks only work with OEM licences, this has been the case with Windows for as long as I can remember.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I heard of problems with Vista. I had a friend that tried a repair install , he was using a oem vista home prem. and the system he was working on had an oem version of vista home prem. It would not take the product key number. So I quess the answer is " even on Vista you can install from another disk as long as it is the same version and oem' Is this right.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is what I said, yes. There are only two Vista DVDs in the OEM sector as such - 32-bit and 64-bit. The product key you enter determines which version gets installed.

Vista's idea of a "repair install" is to install it again and there is no repair option as such. The Startup Repair isn't worth the paper it's written on - promises the earth and delivers absolutely nothing.