Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen goes blank? HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Nicollette

Nicollette

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, here seems to be my problem, I own a Gateway MX3560 model laptop and today whenever I went to turn it on, it seemed to be working fine, but then, about 5-10 seconds later, the screen went ALMOST completely pitch black. Now, whenever I look at the screen closely enough, I can still see faint outlines of the screen as well as hear the motor running so I know that it's still on. Also, whenever I completely close the close the screen and reopen it the screen becomes bright again but has sort of a reddish tint to it. About 5-10 seconds later, it goes blank again. I'm on a playstation 3 right now so I need help ASAP. How do I fix this problem?

Edited by Nicollette, 26 July 2009 - 07:26 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your color guns are just about dead.
That is why you have a reddish tint to it.
Try plugging in an external monitor and see if it works that way.
If everything is fine there then sadly I would say your lcd is about dead. :)

Nicollette

Nicollette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I dont think i even have the plug any more this laptop is pretty old what happens when the color guns die and what exactly are "color guns"?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Color guns are exactly what they sound like.
You have basic colors in any monitor or tv.
Red, Blue, Yellow

When one or more goes bad then the remaining colors try to compensate for that. Not being able to do that then the image colors will be distorted as in your case.

The best way to tell is as I suggested before. If you hook a external monitor up then it will bypass the lcd completely.
If the colors are still bad then it is a video card problem.
If it works then the lcd is shot.
Either answer is not good in the case of a laptop.

Nicollette

Nicollette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is this repairable and is there a way for me to do this or would it need to be handled by a professional?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Better left to a professional unless you are very familiar with lcd screens.
You can maybe buy a replacement screen but honestly that is not a very cost effective resolution.
I believe you will find since it is a older system that it may be more effective to just purchase a new laptop.