Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Offline Issue

• Please log in to reply

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey there...
I'm having some trouble.
I got a new laptop, so I gave my desktop windows xp sp2 to my son and not long after we did the switch, the internet stopped working. It says that it is connected, and shows that it has good strength, but no go.
There is a main internet box from our provider, and we have a Linksys wireless router.
All other wireless comps are getting the signal, but his computer (with an actual cord into the linksys) is not.
When he plugs the cord into his xbox though, he plays online no problem... plugs it into his comp and it says Default Gateway Offline.
Any suggestions?

Edited by meremoongirl, 27 July 2009 - 01:19 AM.

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi there, sorry to bump this up, but I'm really stumped.
The computer is plugged directly into the router. If we plug it into the xbox, the xbox has internet, but the computer will not register any internet connection. It says the gateway is offline.
I would really love to get internet again, so any help would be very appreciated :)

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
check ur network card set as DHCP mean "autometically assigned IP adress" on lan card's properties>TCP/IP

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes, it is set at DHCP
It was in the living room, connected directly to our Linksys wireless router (because this particular computer is not wireless, we use a direct connection with a cord)
It worked fine. Sometimes we've had to unplug and plug in our modem or router to get it working again, kind of a reboot, but that was rare.
We moved it into my sons room, put the cord through a hole we drilled in the wall. Same outlet in the router, but it does not work.
A week ago, for five minutes, it worked. Randomly on its own. But nothing since. I know its a comp problem because anything else hooked up to the cord works.