Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with new hard drive installation

• Please log in to reply

NF46

NF46

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I'm afraid I don't much about computers at all so any help would be really appreciated!

I've got a Dell Dimension Desktop 9130 (I think - sorry I'm at work so can't remember!)

It has 2 hard drives both 160gb. Basically one of the hard drives has been failing for some time now so I eventually backed up everything I needed and bought a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.5" 7200 rpm) and attempted to install it myself!! I've loaded on the XP OS and tried to load on the drivers but it wouldn't let me copy to the C: drive. That's when I realised that it is now calling the old hard drive Local Disk H:\ and the new one is removable disk c:\!

I've also noticed on the black boot up screen it says something like:-

Raid Volumes
ID 0
Level Raid 0
Status Failed
Boot No

and below this it lists the 2 hard drives and I think the first one shows as the member disk and the second (new one) as non-raid??

I've not got a clue what any of this means but I'm guessing it's not good. I've not done anything else to the computer yet (such as load up the Windows Updates) in case I have to reload the operating system again!

Any help with this would be great as I've searched the internet without much luck.

Thanks very much. :)

Natalie

Advertisements