Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Expanding C volume

• Please log in to reply

MidwichCuckoo

MidwichCuckoo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following.

I have an Acer laptop with 160GB hard drive split as follows:

First partition (hidden recovery drive) 12GB
Second partition (C including system and boot) 79 GB - 10% Free space left
Third partition (D Data) 79 GB - 93% Free space left

I would like to shrink the D partition and expand the C partition, however, I have found that the disk management tool in Vista does not allow for this as the free space created is not adjacent to the C drive.

I have looked into using EASEUS but in their support pages they mention it is not advisable to use the software if the system does not reside on the first partition (I assume this is the case on my setup).

I also read elsewhere that it is possible to delete the D partition the expand the C partition if there is nothing important on the D partition, however, I also read that this was not a wise move if the D partition was a Data partition as it may cause Windows not to load.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this particular problem?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I assume that you have been defaulting data to the C drive. Why not move the data to the D drive to free up the C drive.
You can also install programs to the C drive if you want.

MidwichCuckoo

MidwichCuckoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The data has been defaulted to the D volume already and only programs have been installed to the C volume so that would not have solved things.

Just to let you know I threw caution to the wind and moved the data to the C volume, deleted the D volume in Disk Management in Vista and expanded the C volume into the unallocated space.

All went without a hitch and laptop has since successfully booted up again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Thanks for letting us know.
as an FYI, there are disk partitioning tools/ software available to do what you want.