Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem starting Compaq Presario S4040SE

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi all, my daughter asked me to look at a fairly old (3-4 years) Compaq desktop I gave her. When the PC starts the monitor comes up with the Compaq logo splash screen but will not enter the Windows boot process. Even though the screen states you can enter F1 and F10 for setup and recovery respectively these keystrokes don't do anything, it does not seem to be entering the Windows boot process where (maybe) I might be able to troubleshoot. I removed the side panel, and cleaned the PC (the dust and cathair was incredible). I also tried exchanging the Lithium battery based on a suggestion I saw for a similar problem, still nothing. Any ideas where the problem might lie? Could this be the video card? I checked the keyboard on another PC so I know that is working, I assume since the monitor displays the Compaq logo that the problem isn't with that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA

David

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely the hard drive had died and the computer is only booting into the BIOS of the motherboard. Try finding a spare hard drive that can be used in the computer and see if a Microsoft XP CD will boot and start installing.

SRX660