Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-RW troubles

• Please log in to reply

jrludeman

jrludeman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently acquired a Dell Dimension 4550 from wife's employer, because he was replacing it. It came with a CD-R and a CD-RW installed. I removed the CD-R and replaced it with DVD drive I've had laying around. XP Pro picked up the DVD drive right away, no problems. However, the CD-RW has not been functioning properly since then. It does not recognize any disk I put in, nor does it want to format any blank disk. When I try, I get a message that says it cannot format, because of an I/O error.
The CD-RW is an NEC CD-RW NR 9100 A, according to the hardware device manager. (The device manager also says it is functioning properly). I have Roxio Easy DVD and CD Creator 6 installed.
The jumpers on both the DVD and the CD-RW are set to cable select, because the ide cable has a blue connector, and because the CD-RW and CD-R were both set to cable select.
On start-up, the BIOS lists them both as secondary drives.
I'm wondering what I can do. The DVD drive works just fine, by the way.

Advertisements