Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen going black

• Please log in to reply

nic14

nic14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For the last week my laptops screen has been going black. At first, it would be fine for about 15 minutes and then go black (you can still see words VERY faintly though). I could get it to light up again after closing it, going to standby and then starting up again. The amount of time that it stayed lit has gotten shorter until I can't even get it to light up for more than a second now. For a few days, I could get it to work by changing the screen brightness...now that doesn't even work. What could be wrong??

Advertisements

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's called an lcd-inverter. it's located between the monitor and the motherboard. it's easy to fix, if you know how to get your PC appart.

timjan2005

timjan2005

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem as mentioned here and i already tried replacing the inverter board. Still the same problem.

What would be the next thing to try?

LCD's are around $100.
Motherboards are around $100.

Hate to try the LCD and that not fix this problem.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 1525.

jmsoler2

jmsoler2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had exactly the same problem. My laptop is an HP ProBook 4710s, pretty new model. After reading a few blogs and finding out that it was in fact the lcd inverter, i found out that it is a common problem with HPs. Took it to HP and they took care of it. They had to change the WHOLE display, not just the inverter... that solved the problem! Gladly it was still under warranty!

hope this helps...
juan