Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers having trouble finding sites -- pls help

• Please log in to reply

lusiphr

lusiphr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi. this is my first post here. thanks in advance for taking the time to help. :)

(oh boy, can't wait for the jokes on this one, btw. hehe. go ahead, but this really is a serious issue.)
-my girlfriend and i use some adult meeting sites. (and yes, we're over 18.) a few days ago we signed up with AdultFriendFinder.com. we were using Explorer as the browser . for 2 days, everything with the site functioned as normal. then my girlfriend came to me and said, "i can't bring up the AFF site."
-i went to our computer and tried to open the site (still with Explorer) and got basic message you get when a website is typed in incorrectly or it can't connect, etc: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" (see attached pic: explorer1). i tried a number of times with the same results.
-i then tried opening AFF with Firefox and it opened fine. i have to admit, at this point i wondered if my GF had played with some weird option while i was in the other room and screwed something up in Explorer.
-so for the next 2 days, we could open AFF just fine in Firefox, but still couldn't with Explorer.
-but since this morning, i can't open AFF with Firefox either . last night we could open it, but this morning i can't. (i know my GF didn't do anything wrong too.) but it's weirder than with Explorer. when i try to open AFF with Firefox, it searches for a few seconds, then comes up with a Google search as if i just typed in the letter "p" and nothing else and hit search (see attached pic: firefox1). Google is my homepage, but i don't understand why Google is coming up. and why the letter "p"?
-i have tried getting to AFF on both Explorer and Firefox by typing the address in (www.adultfriendfinder.com) and by clicking a link in favorites and by selecting it off the recent drop-down. i haven't seen this issue with any other sites, including adult sites, but it's possible that i may just not have noticed till now. just strange that i could open it on either browser for 2 days and now i can't.

so hopefully this doesn't seem like a joke. we know AFF is an adult dating site, but it's really not a joke. our concern is that it's more than just this one website is being blocked/avoided. are there other websites we don't know about yet that we can't get to? we don't want to be censored on what sites we can and can't pull up, adult or otherwise. seems really weird that it's not saying we can't view them or that our password is invalid or something... it's more like the kind of messages you get when you can't connect at all.

any help would be appreciated greatly.

Attached Thumbnails

• exporer1.jpg
  • firefox1.jpg

Advertisements