Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

North Bridge Fell Out

• Please log in to reply

rynem

rynem

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well the north bridge heat sink from my motherboard fell out, so I just put super glue on it, then stuck it back on. It hasn't fallen out, nor has my computer been unstable. Everything is alright, and I was told that if it falls out again, I will get it soldered by a family friend. It’s a separate heat sink, its not connected to the fan. This one is supported by 2 clips and a metal base attached to the motherboard to hold it. So I just superglued it. It’s been a week and a half and its still running good. I was told that it will fry, but it hasn’t yet and its been a a while.

So I’m just wondering if I should apply thermal paste right away, or is it fine?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Well the north bridge heat sink from my motherboard fell out, so I just put super glue on it, then stuck it back on.

That was a mistake.

So I’m just wondering if I should apply thermal paste right away, or is it fine?

I don't how you could remove the HS now without risking damaging the die - super glue is made to stay stuck so I don't see any safe way to remove the heatsink to apply new paste. I think you should be happy it works, but keep an eye on your temps and the interior of the case clean. What you should have done, and for next time, use Thermal Adhesive Paste - TIM made just for applications like this.

rynem

rynem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Well the north bridge heat sink from my motherboard fell out, so I just put super glue on it, then stuck it back on.

That was a mistake.

I don't how you could remove the HS now without risking damaging the die - super glue is made to stay stuck so I don't see any safe way to remove the heatsink to apply new paste. I think you should be happy it works, but keep an eye on your temps and the interior of the case clean. What you should have done, and for next time, use Thermal Adhesive Paste - TIM made just for applications like this.

Alright, thanks. Hopefully next time it falls out, it won't break on my right away.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hopefully it won't fall out ever - because it is metal, you don't need that bouncing around live electronics, or sharp edges scratching tiny circuit board traces.