Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help deciding on a video card upgrade!

• Please log in to reply

dcross64

dcross64

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I currently have an HIS Radeon HD 4670 Turbo IceQ, the specs are 780mhz core clock 2ghz memory clock 512mb gddr3. Im not too happy with the fps im getting on some games, and i assume its because of my video card. Im running a 2.5ghz intel dual core and 3gb of memory. I have about 150 dollars and ive been shopping around and the radeon hd 4850 looks pretty good. can anyone suggest a better card within my budget?

Advertisements

sspazz35

sspazz35

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Dcross,

The HD4850 is nice and your $150 budget is easy to work with. If you go a little over budget, you could get the HD4870 for $162. The one thing to really watch, even while using a dual core @2.5ghz, bottlenecking may occur. If the CPU can't handle what the GPU is putting out you will notice it.

Ensure your current GPU is running cool enough. ATI's run HOT, simple as that. Add a few $5-$8 case fans.

I see you are using Vista. Have you gone through and turned off the services that you don't need? Vista is a resource HOG! Turn off as much of that junk as you possibly can. My Vista "looks" like XP and isn't far behind it either in terms of performance.

While looking at Vid Cards, take a look and see how much RAM cost. Go here, Crucial Scanner, and it will tell you what kind and how much(if any) you can upgrade to and then check the prices on Newegg. I would recommend Crucial, G.Skill, OCZ.

Anyway, I know this is a little more than asked for but it may help.

Edited by sspazz35, 27 July 2009 - 09:06 PM.

dcross64

dcross64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I shopped around a little more and on newegg they have the GTX 260 core 216 overclocked edition for 160 with a mail in rebate, so now im kindof deciding between that one and the HD4870. About my CPU i haven been told anything over that isnt really necessary for gaming, im not 100% on that but ive been told it lol. About my GPU temp, i always go with the dual slot solutions and also i have the equivalent of a hair drier about 1 1/2 inches from the pci slot. My 4670 is running 90 almost constantly unless i start playin crysis. For turning off unneeded vista stuff do you mean like the transparency and the preview window? i will turn those off now but is there more than that? and about the ram i think ill go ahead and buy a 2gb stick, i thaught all 32 bit reconized was 3gb not 4. the crucial scan said itd give me about 10% more performance (from my ram i guess) and its like 30 bucks for a 2gb stick. Thanks for giving so much advice =) its really appreciated.

sspazz35

sspazz35

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey dcross64,

Vista 32 can/may recognize up to 3.5gb. If you install 4gb's, your system will automatically clock itself down to what it can recognize. If you install 4gb's, it may just recognize 3.5gb, however, if you install just 3gb's, that is all it will recognize. You really won't notice the difference between 3 to 3.5 but your system will.

For a list of services that can be tweaked visit www.BlackViper.Com.

As far as keeping card temps at a minimum, I would definitely invest in a 3rd party heatsink/fan. Most stock HS/F's are mediocre at best. If you haven't already, look into buying one for your CPU as well. There are numerous $25-30 CPU HS/F's that can drop the temperature about 5-10 degrees, some even more.

Edited by sspazz35, 29 July 2009 - 11:56 AM.

dcross64

dcross64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for reffering me to that site, really really helpful. About card temps usually the ones that take up two slots with the big fans on them stay fairly cool, and ive heard the gtx 260 core 216 stays cool(thats what im aiming for now, its on sale). And about my processor, i have a big heatsync on it with a normal 2000rpm fan on it, and it runs about 98-106. is that normal/safe? and if not could you suggest a good heatsync?