Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I keep getting the alert to download IE8 as a crucial update. Also hear that it is iffy. Can advise?

Am on a new Dell Laptop Inspiron Home Premium 64 Bit.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Me personally, never use Internet Explorer, so I won't install this update. It will say important obviously, as it's Microsoft's creation, along with your Windows Vista. If you use Firefox for example, you don't have to update the IE browser. It won't effect anything. Security wise - all updates are important, but this isn't an operating system update, only browser updates..

If you use Internet Explorer, it is obviously the best idea to install it. :)

-Jason

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok Will do re istalling IE8. BTW is Firefox much better browser than IE? Does it work well on Vista?

Thanks for the nudge to go ahead with IE8

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Some people just don't like the Firefox layout - but a lot of people prefer it. It's been proven to be faster and safer, but it's all really just getting used to new controls. You can download it from my sig below and test it out - you can always uninstall it if you don't like it. :)

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
May I ask your opinion of CCleaner and IObit systemcare of cleaning?

I know all these programs really boil down to preference of the user, but for a PC novice, it gets tricky trying to decide what is best for not only me but my PC!

People have told me this downloading and uninstalling of programs all the time for trials clutters up the registry and does other compromising things to one's PC. True?

Since my desktop went down and is in for diagnostics etc. I am wondering if it is true about trying differing things. I cleaned and updated my desktop daily, tried all kinds of programs etc. - overkill?

Appreciate your take on all of this.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi there,

CCleaner is no longer recommended here, and I've never actually heard of IObit systemcare.. :)

TFC is always nice.
ATF Cleaner is good too.

Personally, I believe TFC does a better job. It also requires a reboot of the system, while ATF Cleaner does not.

Downloading and uninstalling programs all the time, will probably add a bit of clutter, but definitely nothing big as long as they're uninstalled correctly:

START > CONTROL PANEL > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

It all does depend on the programs that are being installed.. And your computer.

-Jason :)

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks for your feedback on all the questions I had. Will look at your suggestions and take it from there.