Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion Computer Need to delete all files

• Please log in to reply

Jaba the Hut

Jaba the Hut

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey there,

My fiance is getting rid of her old computer and I said I could delete everything that she doesn't want off of it...that's why i came here. Not sure where to start. She said she has deleted a few things off of it but she wants everything deleted and the entire memory wiped clean as she used to use her computer for financing and has a lot of bank and account files on it. She wants to sell it in a garage sell, but wants to make sure that the memory bank is wiped clean.

Where do I start?

Thanks a Lot

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try:

Darik's Boot And Nuke

Other Source Info

Edited by Major Payne, 27 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

Jaba the Hut

Jaba the Hut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
here's the issue, though....

The computer is running windows ME and I've searched and searched through the sites above and by myself. I have tried to even use MS DOS because every program I've tried (even if they say they work with windows ME) say that they are unable to work because the computer has too old of a version of windows and that I need to upgrade windows and try later.

On MS DOS it seemed simple, you would create a bootdisk, which I have done, and then type in 'format c: \s ' and everything is suppose to go. According to a lot of site's that I've tried it's either type in format C: or with the \s as above and you're 'suppose' to be prompted if you want the hard drive completely erased. The issue is that dos says that the above commands are invalid commands and so I'm back to step one.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Landon

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you not look at the links on Boot and Nuke's pages? Here are old releases for older systems: http://sourceforge.n...cts/dban/files/

Those should be platform independent. See Installation Questions for latest release installation, too.

Edited by Major Payne, 12 August 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Jaba the Hut

Jaba the Hut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
go it

Edited by Jaba the Hut, 30 July 2009 - 05:41 PM.