Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy disk problems

• Please log in to reply

kristine

kristine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was writing a paper yesterday and saved it to a disk that already contained some previous work. When I went to open it up today to finish the paper, it said the disk needed to be formatted but I've been using the disk for about 3 months and never had this problem before.

I'm not even sure what the problem is. Have I used up all the disk space? Is there any way to save the work I have on the disk?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Floppy disks are really unreliable I'm afraid. You should never trust for storing anything important. If you have to use them, make several backups of the work, including one to the hard drive.

You could try the floppy on another machine in case it's the floppy drive thats playing up, but I doubt this will help.

Try this utility in the link below. Its freeware & claims to be able to recover files from floppy disks:

http://www.dirfile.c...floppy_disk.htm